Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2003, 12:19 AM

Default how to play AQo in NL

AQo is my biggest losing hand. anybody have some general info on how to play this hand in NL, raise? limp? fold?, when where, etc. I've got to be missing something about AQo

I know I'm not giving specifics about game type and such. but I play mostly 1/2blinds NL. All I know is I'm losing money consistently with this hand.

Thanks
Kleptic
Old 10-18-2003, 12:38 AM

Default Re: how to play AQo in NL

fold to virtually any raise with AQ. it can get you into trouble too easily.

other than that, feel free to raise with it in late position, but bail out if the money is deep and the action fierce, even if you flopped top pair.
Old 10-18-2003, 01:02 AM

If the stacks sizes are small, then AQ can be quite a good hand, easily worth going all-in on if it hits top pair, or even pre-flop. As the stack sizes become larger, it becomes less and less of a hand. It's always a good drawing hand, however, if it can be played cheaply in position, because it can make a nut straight or flush. With deep money you want to be very careful not to get trapped with it on lesser hands than these.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:07 PM

My suggestion is that in ring games, you NEVER call a raise with AQo. There might be some reasonable exceptions, such as if a total maniac raised, or calling an obvious steal-raise, but I simply don't call raises with AQo, and I don't lose money with that hand. I generally limp with it. If any significant raise comes, I toss it. If I choose to open for a raise with it, it will be a SMALL raise, one that I can easily give up on if facing a big reraise. Playing AQ against AK is the absolute best way in the world to lose money.

al