Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2003, 08:57 PM

Default anybody notice israel attacked syria? or syria about to start a war!

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/EJ09Ak01.html

-about bush and neocons support for israel

http://www.reuters.com/printerFriend...toryID=3577501

'
JERUSALEM/MADRID (Reuters) - Syria's ambassador to Spain said on Wednesday Damascus would respond militarily against Israel if the Jewish state carried out new attacks on Syrian territory.

A senior Israeli security source swiftly dismissed the threat, saying Israel did not want to escalate tensions and believed Syria did not want to start a war. The source said the envoy's statement was mainly intended to impress the Arab world.

But the comments increased tensions simmering since Israel carried out an air strike on Sunday on what it said was a training camp for Palestinian militants near Damascus, one day after a Palestinian suicide bombing killed 19 people in Israel.

Syria says the target was a civilian site and has said it has the right to defend itself.
'

so whos the terrorist state again?

http://www.informationclearinghouse....rticle4928.htm

'The minister, Avigdor Lieberman, said Israel should "incinerate Beirut and Damascus" in retaliation for resistance attacks in the West Bank.
'

relative of dem pres cand. heh.

whos terrorists again?

Old 10-08-2003, 09:28 PM

Default Re: anybody notice israel attacked syria? or syria about to start a war!

I'm starting a pool on how many minutes it will take for Gamblor, Chris, MMMMMMM, and Cyrus to ALL post replies to this post.

I've got everything between one and 59, just in case one of them was out to dinner or taking a bath or throwing the wife a shag.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:32 PM

Default Re: anybody notice israel attacked syria? or syria about to start a war!

brad, Damascus houses many terrorist offices under the guise of "media offices." However Hamas et al have set up shop in and around Damascus with the blessing of the Assad regime. There are also terrorist training camps operating in Syria and Lebanon. Also, Hezbollah is supported by Syria and Iran.

Bombing of terrorist training camps is not terrorism, it is counter-terrorism. I know you don't like Israel but please try to recognize that there is a difference. You might as well call us terrorists for attacking al-Qaeda in Afghanistan if you are not going to differentiate.

Syria has not only sustained succor and location for known terrorist groups, it is allowing terrorists to cross from Syria into Iraq (or at least it is not being very good at stopping them). Yet Syria has quite an Army and could easily kick these terrorists out or arrest them if it so desired. It is not semi-helpless like the PA. Yet due to old ways and interests, Damascus is going down the wrong path.

Syria might be next. Assad better wake up and fast.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:38 PM

Very good, Rushmore.

I was indeed out to dinner with my sister and returned perhaps ten minutes ago. So you get a bonus point for that. However don't put it past Cyrus to delay a bit on purpose just to be difficult and cross you up if he reads your post before responding to brad's. On the other hand now that I've said that if he reads my post he will be even more inclined to do the opposite just because I suggested it. But now he can't even do that because I suggested that too. Poor Cyrus, there is nothing for him to do I guess but wait for that Big Rock.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:42 AM

I doubt it. After Sharon started targeted Hamas political leaders in earnest, those guys went underground. Now Israel has run out of targets while the White House is giving it heat for killing so many civilians, fearful that it will spin out of control like it did in March 2002, while the US is bogged down in Iraq.

More likely, Sharon's just flailing around, trying to prove he's unconstrained. One news report had the Haifa bomber as coming from an area known as "Little Tehran" because of PIJ concentration. If Sharon had a green light from the US, he'd have leveled it. Instead, he bombs a generator in Gaza (the same refugee camp where he personally helped massacre some 40 civilians back in '53) and an abandoned "training camp" in Syria used by picnickers (which might explain the "operational delay" of the mission).

Sharon's won. The PA is in tatters and the US is letting him carve up the occupied territories any way he wants. There's no point in going to war with Lebanon or Syria.

Sharon's also taking heat from his right flank over the prisoner exchanges negotiations with Hezbollah. Bombing an empty building in Syria shunts some of that criticism.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:29 AM

Default Re: textbook example of Alger\'s BS

Instead, he bombs a generator in Gaza (the same refugee camp where he personally helped massacre some 40 civilians back in '53) and an abandoned "training camp" in Syria used by picnickers (which might explain the "operational delay" of the mission).

Why do you take the Palestinian/Syrian claim that it is a "generator" and not a bomb-making facility, or that the camp was "abandoned" as fact, but you systematically dismiss the Israeli claim that these are in fact terrorist strongholds?

Why did you divert attention from the issue at hand and instead feel the need to remind everyone, completely off topic that 40 civilians were killed? And you ignore, once again, that since the terrorists (even in Sharon's military heyday) hide out among civilians, it is often very difficult to discern which is which?

Of course, Palestinian accounts of the events in question (they lined up 1000 people and blindfolded them and made them lick each other's butts, and then did the chicken dance, then the Israelis shot them) are naturally 100% reliable, whereas Israeli accounts are 100% bullplop.

Correct?

All of this, despite the fact that Israeli media is free and Israel purports to run a relatively transparent democracy (whether it is for Jews only or otherwise I will not address), while the Palestinian media dissemination consists mainly of killing anyone who's account doesn't fit with the PA's goals.

Any parties interested in why Israel attacked Syria may find out here
Old 10-09-2003, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Why do you take the Palestinian/Syrian claim that it is a "generator" and not a bomb-making facility...."

[/ QUOTE ]

As usual, you haven't the slightest clue. There were no media reports, not even in the Jerusalem Post, that Israel targeted a "bomb-making facility," and reports of it knocking out a generator were widespread and amply witnessed. Some examples of what you call a "Palestine/Syria claim": <ul type="square"> “Israeli helicopter gunships fired three missiles at Palestinian targets in el-Bureij refugee camp in the Gaza Strip early on Sunday, witnesses said. One of the missiles struck an electricity generator, cutting off power to much of the central Gaza Strip. The two others plowed into a field, witnesses said.” Reuters

“Israel hit back early today, launching helicopter gunship strikes that damaged a militant's home in Gaza City and struck an electricity generator in el-Bureij refugee camp, cutting power to much of central Gaza.” Toronto Star

“In retaliation, Israeli helicopters fired three missiles at Palestinian targets in the el-Bureij refugee camp in the Gaza Strip early today, witnesses said. One of the missiles struck an electricity generator, cutting off power to much of the central Gaza Strip.” New York Post[/list][ QUOTE ]
"since the terrorists (even in Sharon's military heyday) hide out among civilians, it is often very difficult to discern which is which?"

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the usual self-justifying BS: Israel invades, occupies and colonizes areas where 3.5 civilians live. When they fight back, Israel justifies killing civlians on the grounds that its hard to tell them from the "terrorists." Therefore, killing civilians pursuant to in invasion that meets resistance -- The Warsaw ghetto, Vietnam, Hungary '56 -- is justified, because the "terrorists" "hide" among the civilians.

As for the "terrorist training camp," no source, including the National Review column you cite, offers any contemporary evidence that this camp is a "stronghold" of anything. The only evidence it offers is an unspecified "1997 report" of PFLP activity unrelated to suicide bombings which is fairly consistent with Syrian claims that the camp used to be a PLFP camp but has been abandoned for the last seven years. Of course, there's also no evidence that the PFLP or Syria had any connection to the Haifa bombing which purportedly inspired the "retalliation."

Claims that the camp was abandoned are also consistent with the absence of any evidence that the strike caused any casualties, or that a single human being lived there. "The Bush administration sought Sunday to distance itself from Israel's airstrike inside Syria, with senior officials saying the United States had no advance warning of the attack and no solid evidence that the target was in fact a terrorist training camp." NY Times, 10/5/3
Old 10-09-2003, 02:09 PM

One of the missiles struck an electricity generator, cutting off power to much of the central Gaza Strip. The two others plowed into a field, witnesses said.&amp;#8221;

witnesses said.

No mention of which side these witnesses were on. The other articles present this as fact as well. The lost power could easily be the result of blown power lines as a result of this attack.

How many IDF witnesses do you think the authors asked?

Therefore, killing civilians pursuant to in invasion that meets resistance -- The Warsaw ghetto, Vietnam, Hungary '56 -- is justified, because the "terrorists" "hide" among the civilians.

This is a sidebar and nothing more: I don't know about Vietnam or Hungary, but I don't recall any Warsaw ghetto Jews firing into German homes, cafes, and I certainly don't recall any Jews strapping any dynamite to their chests and filling the charges with nails and shrapnel to prolong the agony of those not quite close enough to be incinerated. Israel is not simply killing people who are defenseless - they are killing people who are killing Jews.

"If the Arabs put down their guns, there would be no war. If the Jews put down their guns, there would be no Israel"
Old 10-09-2003, 02:22 PM

Has it even occurred to you that Israel hasn't even denied the witnessed accounts? And do you have any reports from anywhere supporting your claim that Israel targeted a "bomb-making factory," or is that one of the many lies you tend to make up when accusing others of "BS?"

"I don't know about Vietnam or Hungary...."

You don't know anything about anything.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:38 PM

You don't know anything about anything.

Mature.

And do you have any reports from anywhere supporting your claim that Israel targeted a "bomb-making factory,"

Your tired manipulation of my words and libellous accusations are amateur, at best.

Journalists may simply do not include Israeli denials because it doesn't fit into their interpretation of the conflict, and furthermore, the god-complex that comes with disseminating information to hungry masses allows them to pick and choose what they want people to believe.

Nowhere did I claim that this specific instance included a bomb-making facility. I merely included it as a possible alternative to generator.

Having written the LSAT, you ought to have done a few hundred questions that might have to do with "What is the role of this statement in the argument above?"

Ultimately, you suck.