Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2003, 11:13 AM

Default Hand of a lifetime - mucked

In a NL tournament (tight, agressive table) last night, I have J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in EP. UTG and UTG +1 fold, I call, CO calls, SB BB call. Flop is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] SB bets, BB calls, I fold. CO calls. Turn is 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], River is K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] D'OH!, I tossed a straight flush. 1) Was I right PF? 2) Was I wrong to fold?
Old 10-08-2003, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Hand of a lifetime - mucked

Need stack and bet sizes. But generally I wouldn't limp in EP with that against a tight aggressive table. You'd be right to fold to virtually any bet on the flop, unless you wanted to bluff.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:41 AM

I wouldn't be so quick to toss QJs pre-flop. If it was early in the tournament, I would limp. If it was a little later, I might consider making an early open raise if the table is tight-aggressive as a blind steal. It's not a strong hand to raise with early and it's even weaker to limp with late.

On the flop there is no way you could justify calling.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:04 PM

At a tight aggressive table you are most likely burning chips limping with QJS from EP or MP because you are going to face a PF raise that you cant call. If you dont get a PF raise, then you dont have enough players in the hand to give you the implied odds you need to stick around for a post-flop draw. If you flop it the board is so scary you arent going to make any money anyway.

I would only play QJ (suited or not) from the button for 1 bet or the SB for a complete, both with several limpers (unlikely at a TA table) or the BB for "free".