Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2002, 03:39 PM

Default Reraising a drawing opponent?

It's a common technique to raise a drawing hand from late position. Is it a good play to reraise someone who I suspect is doing that?

For example: I flop top pair with a good kicker and the board has a two flush. I bet the pair and get a raise from a late position player. He might not be drawing, but it seems like I should make it expensive in case he is. Is that correct thinking? Or do I need a better hand, like a set or two pair? I'm not sure how to anlayze the math. How does the number of other callers effect the decision to reraise?

Thanks
Old 06-10-2002, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Reraising a drawing opponent?

When you get raised on the flop behind you you should put your typical opponent on top pair or a draw first. If you have top pair, top kicker you can 3-bet it and then bet out on the turn if a scare card does not come. You don't need 2-pair or better to do this. Even when there is no obvious draw, you can usually 3-bet your top pair/top kicker as most people will raise with top pair even with mediocre kickers.

Regards,

Paul Talbot

Old 06-10-2002, 07:12 PM

vary your play some and just call and then lead out if the draw dosnt come. but to win you need to play agressively and do the betting. if its a player that doesnt raise on draws think about folding or slowing way down.
Old 06-10-2002, 07:19 PM

I would think that the fewer the opponents, the more apt to 3-bet it. 3-betting vs. four players makes almost any draw worth sticking around for, especially if they are not likely to fold because of money they have already invested in the pot – they are married as the term goes. If you can 3-bet to knock out two or three players who have put zero in the pot, you are making a better play. Manipulate the pot to keep drawing hands as much out of their pot odds as possible and with top pair you want fewer players and a smaller pot.

With 2-pair or better – fire away! Especially a set or any nut flush draw, get as much money in the pot as possible.