Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2003, 06:29 AM

Default why israel is the real threat

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/nation/2109909

Justice: Israeli courts good example for U.S.
Associated Press
NEW YORK -- The United States could learn from compromises Israeli courts have struck to balance terrorism and human rights concerns, according to Supreme Court Justice Stephen G. Breyer.

--------------------------

he goes on to say that having a lawyer is unamerican but pro-israeli so lets do it!

btw, attorney client priviledge ruled void, and enemy combatants (who can be US citizens) dont get any lawyer anyway.

look waht the islamic terrorists (heh) have done to us! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2003, 06:57 AM

Default Re: why israel is the real threat

brad, the title of your post is way off base. You are definitely reading and imagining too much nonsense somewhere if you think the Israelis are a greater threat to us than are the Islamic jihad warriors. You are cracking up, brad.

Old 09-22-2003, 07:21 AM

do u disagree with the article?

do u think lawyers for defendents are a bad thing?

do u prefer israeli law over US law?

----

you are aware i assume that justice department just came out and said they will use patriot act passed after 911 for all crimes, not just terrorism. (which they vehemently denied would ever happen at the time it passed)

am i insane for stating facts? or am i insane for opining that american system of justice is good? (eg, right to lawyer, able to face accusers, trial by jury, public trial, etc.)
Old 09-22-2003, 07:53 AM

well also you know i like to make my post titles striking, my main point isnt even about israel.

a) in sodomy case of US supreme court, they cited 'being in line with rest of world on this'. wtf? rest of world is s***hole, ifirc.

b) in death sentence case in arizona of german nationals (who were put to death for murder or something), US supreme court said in future they would defer to UN or something in cases like this. wtf?

so maybe i just should have titled post 'another wtf?'
Old 09-22-2003, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
do u disagree with the article?

Yes

do u think lawyers for defendents are a bad thing?

No and the article does not say that either.

do u prefer israeli law over US law?

In this instance it seems fair, other than that your quaestion is much too general.
----

you are aware i assume that justice department just came out and said they will use patriot act passed after 911 for all crimes, not just terrorism. (which they vehemently denied would ever happen at the time it passed)

Brad you keep stating this over and over like if we see it enough we will believe you. That is incorrect and you have yet to post information which states such as factual.

am i insane for stating facts? or am i insane for opining that american system of justice is good? (eg, right to lawyer, able to face accusers, trial by jury, public trial, etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

[b] You rarely state "facts" and may very well be somewhat confused and paranoid if not completely on your way to insane.[b]

Old 09-22-2003, 12:43 PM

What he is pointing out, i think, and this is something that you have expressed a concern about is, that the Islamic Jihad warriors may have done greater harm by changing out mindset about civil liberties.

Dont know how the title relates tho. Perhaps in as much as we are becoming more vindicative in our approach to suspects (as opposed to convicts) like the Israelis.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:40 PM

"well also you know i like to make my post titles striking, my main point isnt even about israel."

I guess that says it all then.

Next time I want to post about anything, I'll just think up a shocking, misleading, largely irrelevant post title just to make sure people read it. Great idea.

Old 09-22-2003, 02:12 PM

'you are aware i assume that justice department just came out and said they will use patriot act passed after 911 for all crimes, not just terrorism. (which they vehemently denied would ever happen at the time it passed)

Brad you keep stating this over and over like if we see it enough we will believe you. That is incorrect and you have yet to post information which states such as factual.
'

i see.

---------------------
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in573155.shtml

Terror Laws Used Vs. Common Crimes

PHILADELPHIA, Sept. 14, 2003

AP) In the two years since law enforcement agencies gained fresh powers to help them track down and punish terrorists, police and prosecutors have increasingly turned the force of the new laws not on al Qaeda cells but on people charged with common crimes.
----------------------------
---------------------------------
http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centr...ws/6716551.htm
Posted on Sun, Sep. 07, 2003

Patriot Act available against many types of criminals
BY MICHELLE MITTELSTADT
The Dallas Morning News

WASHINGTON - (KRT) - Crisscrossing the country to defend the USA Patriot Act from the slings and arrows of conservatives and liberals alike, Attorney General John Ashcroft praises the law as invaluable to the war on terrorism and national security.

"We have used these tools to prevent terrorists from unleashing more death and destruction on our soil," he said last month as he kicked off a multi-state defense of the law.

Virtually unmentioned, however, is the fact that the Patriot Act extended the government's powers well beyond the terrorism arena. The creatively named law - USA Patriot stands for "Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism" - also handed FBI agents and prosecutors a broad new arsenal for going after garden-variety criminals.
----------------------------------------------

Old 09-22-2003, 02:15 PM

There have also been reports of federal prosecutors being required to use their offices to promote the act.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:17 PM

well obviously its about israel, i mean read the article, but the main point is US sovereignty and our laws and bill of rights and stuff.

what i meant though is im not picking on israel, thats what i meant.