Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2003, 03:31 PM

Default Palestinians Against Arafat: A Palestinian Speaks

Sami el-Soudi talks about what happened at the meeting in Mouqata'a on Sept. 11, and why some influential Palestinians are reaching the conclusion that Arafat is harming the Palestinian cause and people--and that he should be overthrown.

translated with express permission from the Metula News Agency

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles...le.asp?ID=9930
Old 09-20-2003, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Palestinians Against Arafat: A Palestinian Speaks

So, let them elect a new president the next time. Just like we will.
Old 09-20-2003, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Palestinians Against Arafat: A Palestinian Speaks

This is exactly the sort of discussion that this forum could use more of.
Old 09-21-2003, 03:20 AM

Default Arafat

Arafat's regime has deteriorated into corruption, cronyism and autocracy. In the process, it has rendered quite a disservice to the cause of the Palestinians.

But is Arafat, truly harmful to the Israeli cause? I submit that the Israeli objective is essentially to discredit the Palestinian cause so much that independence becomes unthinkable to the world community. And Arafat, through his many mistakes, partially caused by the faults in his governance, is paving the way for that objective, however indirectly.

A consequent and valid question is, then, if Arafat has been really as dangerous to Israeli security or objectives as all those Palestinian leaders that are executed on a routine basis by Israel, why is he still alive?? Technical difficulties cannot be seriously argued. Nor the "reaction of the intertnational community" -- which is as important to Israel as camel dung.

But that's coffeehouse speculation, probably. What's truly important as a question, is this : Is Israel prepared to make a deal with Arafat's heir ? If the old man is removed from power and replaced by an elected representative to negotiate the American roadmap's implementation with Israel, what will Israel do ? At the end of the road in that roadmap lies full Palestinian independence -- not autonomy, but independence. Since the very concept is anathema to Zionists, one has to be very sceptical as to the true causes behind the current indignant reaction of Israel and the US towards Arafat's regime.

--Cyrus
Old 09-22-2003, 12:00 PM

Default Re: Arafat

Will Jews be permitted in Palestine?
Not legally, i mean on the street. Will they be guaranteed safety?
Old 09-22-2003, 12:19 PM

Well, in this model if they are Israeli citizens, or US citizens they will go to the Palesitinian embassy, request a visa, just like Hindus, Christians, Buddhists to enter another soveriegn nation.

Assuming they are granted a visa and have proper clearance, then they should be guaranteed the same protection of law offered others from outside Palestine.

If they are there without papers, then, they are liable to be thrown in jail and appropriate deportaation proceedings started.

Does that help explain what an independent sovereign Palestine means?
Old 09-22-2003, 02:01 PM

You misunderstand.

Legally, I doubt there will be any significant discrimination.

I'm talking on the street. Where it seems that the PA is irrelevant and Hamas is the champion of public opinion.

There is a real sentiment that a Palestinian state is just a backdoor to the eventual destruction of the Jewish state.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:11 PM

Well, if there is an Israeli or hindu or christain in fear for his life does not have to visit Palestine. Just as, I may not want to travel to Pakistan bacause i dont think its safe. I was warned repeatedly not to live in Johannesburg, at the time that I did, because it was not considered safe.

Similarly, if the Jews presently living in a territory that becomes part of Palestine, he/she can immigrate to, and will I know be welcomed in, Israel.

Does that help.

Travelling in parts of New York can be dangerous, I just dont go there.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:04 PM

And that is exactly why there must never be a Palestinian state.

Johannesburg and NYC are liberal western cities.

Now imagine another Mecca or Baghdad for westerners. Which is exactly what will happen in "Palestine".

In Israel, the people are relatively tolerant. Arabs in Israel, in fact have it much better than Arabs in Arab countries!
(judging by average income, education, health, etc)

Why give another dictatorship a chance to wreak havoc?

Which is exactly what I've been saying all along.

1) You can't have your own state, its too dangerous for us.
2) You can't have our state, its too dangerous for us.
3) Find someone else to bomb and terrorize because we're not interested in dealing unless we see no bombs and no terrorists.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:09 PM

And how did you get the Must from NY and Jo Burg being liberal western cities (I must tell my Afrikaner acquitances about that description of their city. They think it is under siege.