Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2001, 07:59 PM

Default books, authors and theories

I often read where "S&M doesn't work in my games"(fill joke in here). Am I completely missing the point, or are the plays outlined by Sklansky and Malmuth in their writings just examples of their theories put into action? I think some people take what they read as gospel, and set out looking for the exact situation to take advantage of.

When I read their writing, I'm thinking on a broader scale. I try to understand what is being written, and then apply it to varying situations. People say that a tight player is an "M&S" player because he or she uses easily recognizable moves from one of the books. David or Mason (or Ray, etc), please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you're advocating a step-by-step use of your books.

As much as it aggrivates me to read this, I do love it when I see players playing this way. They become so predictable, that it's like taking candy from a baby.

The bottom line, as I see it, is that if a book says "Theory" in the title, you can't treat it like a manual. Likewise, if it says "how to" in the title, be wary since it's advice will probably only work in very specific situations (that the author/hero encounters all the time, but that you won't see in your lifetime).

Up next: Chilton's how to play winning hold em?
Old 12-17-2001, 09:06 PM

Default Re: books, authors and theories

Good point 2d. Anyone who thinks a theoretical approach to poker leads to a predictable style of play just does not get it to even the tiniest degree.

Dirk

Old 12-26-2001, 12:52 PM

Default Re: books, authors and theories

pokerbooks can open doors but you have to step inside yourself. Poker isn't blackjack.

BTW Some books are closing doors...