Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2003, 12:53 PM

Default A Widespread Corruption (LOL)

(excerpt) "Eruviel Avila Villegas, the new mayor of Ecatepec, Mexico, has abolished fines for traffic and parking violations in his city of 2.5 million, the Washington Post reports. "Avila, 34, a soft-spoken lawyer with curly hair, is nobody's anarchist. He's just looking for radical new ways to solve one of Mexico's most annoying problems: cops demanding bribes."

The corruption problem is so bad, the Post reports, that some officers were taking home as much as $2,000 a month in bribes, on top of the average salary of $420. "Avila said that if the anti-bribery scheme works, he plans to extend it to other city departments;" (end excerpt) http://www.opinionjournal.com/best/?id=110003989

Well maybe andyfox was right; Mexico isn't more corrupt overall than the US;-)

In the past I've said that Mexico and Russia have much more widespread corruption than the US. It's more engrained in the culture and in the political system, too, and public servants more often take--or demand--payoffs. I wasn't being bigoted or even criticizing them for this; just observing what I believe is a fact. Of course, I got a stiff argument from some of the more liberal posters on the board for saying this.

Actually, the widespread human tendency toward corruption is one reason I think we should perhaps view corruption less severely in this country when it comes to light. Does anyone think the human race will ever be free of corruption? And that, I believe, is one of the largest inherent problems with giving government greater and greater powers over us. The more power government has, the more service positions in government attract those who would subvert its awesome powers for their own personal gain, trampling on those they wield power over in the process.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:13 PM

Default Re: A Widespread Corruption (LOL)

Interesting solution to the problem. Perhaps the cure here might be worse than the disease, though. Without traffic fines, the government will have less money to pay the cops, increasing their propensity to solicit bribes--if not for traffic violations, then for other things. And without fear of punishment, one would think the streets will be less safe.

I suppose one can do away with any problem. For example, if we decided jaywalking was a severe problem, we could make the mandatory punishment 20 years in prison. That would probably solve the perceived jaywalking problem.

If we paid our cops $420 a month, they'd probably steal $2,000 a month too. [BTW, my son just graduated from the academy and is LAPD. Their starting salary is around $48,000/year.] In any event, I'd be wary of the statement that some officers were taking home as much as $2,000 a month. We had an investigation at my company several years back. I was present when an employee said that she had given so-and-so cash several times. How much? She said it was generally $5, but onced she gave her $20 in one week. The investigator's report, based on this statement, said that so-and-so had received "as much as" $1,000 a year from employees.

If there is a widespread human tendency towards corruption, and we have a much bigger and more efficient government here in the U.S. than they do in Mexico, one would expect a much bigger corruption problem here in the U.S. But, then again, traffic tickets never get fixed here, do they?

Anyway, I wonder if there are any secientific investigations of the extent of corruption in Mexico (or other "third world" countries vs. the United States (or other "developed" countries). I'm sure there must be.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:15 PM

its common knowledge that in southern european countries (france, italy) you have to 'know someone' to get stuff done, whereas in northern europe such as germany it is much more rule oriented and if you follow the rules you can get stuff done.

for example you are applying for a licence or something.

obviously in the first case bribery may be a commonly accepted way of doing stuff whereas in the second it would be very unacceptable.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:19 PM

Heh. First you compare $420/month income in Mexico to $420/month income in the US as if they were the same thing.

Second, anyone who has ever emigrated from Russia will tell you that the Russian Mafia is extrememly pervasive in government and business, far more so than the Italian Mafia is here. It's not bushels of apples versus crates of oranges; it's quarts of blueberries versus wagonloads of pumpkins. Scientific study my eye. Talk to any Russians you know well enough that they will be honest with you and they will tell you what it's like over there.

You seem so attached to the ideal of imagined cultural equivalence that you are not even interested in knowing the truth.

By the way I don't fault the Russians for this. It's how a very smart people learned to survive all the lean years under the yoke and oppression of communism. They had to be wily. When forced to stand in line for hours just to buy bread and various necessities, the more adaptable element of the population learned how to cut in line or bribe the baker on occasion, so to speak.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:55 PM

Hey , what are you talking about? Did you read Andy's post? When are you going to stop spewing the cyper pollution?

Let's pretend that Andy did in fact make reference to some hypothesis of "cultural equivalence" (whatever that is), what Truth is Andy denying and how does his refusal to eschew the notion of cultural equivalence prevent him from seeing this Truth? Furthermore, what does any of this have to do with the Russian Mafia?
Old 09-09-2003, 05:07 PM

Sorry Boris, I guess you are too undiscerning to be able to distinguish between spewing pollution and stating truth.

You probably just need a few more years experience in the world. Don't worry, it's coming.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:25 PM

"First you compare $420/month income in Mexico to $420/month income in the US as if they were the same thing."

Ok let's say the $420 spends like $1260 here. Cops have a lot of opportunity to be crooked. They'll take it making $1260 more often than they will making $4000. No?

"anyone who has ever emigrated from Russia will tell you that the Russian Mafia is extrememly pervasive in government and business, far more so than the Italian Mafia is here."

Undoubtedly. But what about the Italian Mafia here in the 1920s, 30s and 40s? In Chicago, and New York, and Las Vegas. And a lot of other places. I do know a few Russian emigres [is that the right word? I like it whether it is or not.] and they do indeed talk of how the mafia has taken over since the demise of communism. But there's certainly a case to be made for considering the Soviet communist party as the biggest mafia in the history of the world. So perhaps the mafia is now, in a broad definition, less important in Russia than it was, just as it is less important here.

"You seem so attached to the ideal of imagined cultural equivalence that you are not even interested in knowing the truth."

-No, I asked for scientific evidence. You said "me eye." So it appears you are so attached to the idea that we are superior to everyone else that you're not interested in knowing the truth. You can't handle the truth. [Couldn't resist using that line.]

You say Mexico is a crookeder society than the United States. Give me evidence, not anecdote.

"cut in line or bribe the baker"

Americans don't do this? No doubt they all file accurate income tax returns and don't get their traffic tickets fixed and don't illegally download music off the internet.

Look, I have no doubt that certain types of behavior, that are very visible to outsiders, are more endemic to some countries than others. I do business in Mexico and in China, so I'm not naive. But if our country is in some ways more sophisticated than others, being able to steal and bribe and cheat in a more sophisticated manner is certainly one of them.

Old 09-09-2003, 06:19 PM

Default Mostly, the country\'s a writeoff.

"Boy, this country would be better off if it were still being run by the Indians!" Really? Well, visit Mexico and judge for yourself.

No resident of Mexico D.F. (Mexico City) in his right mind would ever call the police. The sophisticated jewelry store and bank heists are typically investigated by the same people who pulled them off. Kidnapping victims are interviewed to see if their families or employers still have any money left so they can be sequestradoed again.

Too bad there's no way the world can accept a big one-time charge and be done with them.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:49 PM

No disagreement other than why compare the past here to the present there. And of course the less employees are paid, the greater the incentive to corruption.

The reason I feel no need to cite evidence for the widespread corruption in Russia is I have better uses for my time (though you mayn't believe it) than drudging up facts on the web to support a statement I absolutely know is true. Anyone sufficiently interested can make that their lengthy pursuit should they care to invest the time.

Also Mexico is a crookeder society than the USA regardless of any evidence I provide you or not. Again, should you or anyone else care to invest the time you will reach the same conclusion. Anyone who hasn't reached this conclusion already is either living a very sheltered life or wearing blinders. Finally I suspect you really KNOW it is a true statement but you are just being a tad difficult in the politically correct sense. You weren't born yesterday and I think you employ many Mexican immigrants (documented or otherwise), and I'm sure you've talked with them so I'm sure you know this; why pretend otherwise? Why create an artificial stumbling block to a good discussion? If we are discussing algebra why make us first prove every time that 2 + 2 = 4?

Yes we may be a few steps ahead of Mexico in the sophisticated corruption department, but they more than make it up on sheer volume. The news clipping I linked earlier in this thread is probably not much news to anyone living in Mexico.

Old 09-10-2003, 12:39 AM

"Mexico is a crookeder society than the USA regardless of any evidence I provide you or not."

Blatant, pretty corruption, probably so. More subtle, white collar, corporate crime, I need the evidence. Because you think something is so does not make it thus.

Yes, many of my employees (mostly from Guatemala, all of them scrupulously documented) can regale me with stories of corruption by their local cop or mayor, but not too many of them have dealt with corporate officials or governors or presidents. I too can regale you with lot of stories about corruption at much higher levels in both the public and private sector in our country.