Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2001, 04:04 PM

Default the worst poker books

For those players who have not read a lot of poker books, it might be of interest to see what books players think are the worst books. As george carlin once siad "Somewhere in the world is the worst doctor. Process of elimination, someone has to be the worst doctor. And the scary thing is, someone has an appointment with him tomorrow!" Similarly with poker books, as someone is going to read or buy the worst book tomorrow.

Although I have avoided the real stinkers, i.e. Money Poker by Mr. X, the worst one I have read is John Patrick's Poker book. I hate to admit it but I have an autographed copy of his Advanced Craps book (!) but his poker book was awful. It contained virtually no advice except "dont play for straights" which he advises regardless of the size of the pot.

Pat
Old 08-21-2001, 07:29 PM

Default John Patrick is my HERO :-)

He must be the best gambler in the WORLD. LMAO!
Old 08-21-2001, 10:07 PM

Default Re: the worst poker books

Ken Warren's "Winner's Guide to Texas Hold'Em" is the worst book I've ever read.

Some of his sage-like points:

*When you are check-raised, you know two things: that you either have the best hand or you don't, and that your opponent may or may not have a better hand than you.

*If low cards such as 26 offsuit start winning pots, you should absolutely play them because low cards come in cycles and can win pots for a certain period of time (he goes on to say that the most important part of this startegy is knowing when the low card "cycle" is over and you will therefore stop playing them)

Honestly, you should pick up this book purely for comical value!

-----Jeff in Mass
Old 08-21-2001, 10:42 PM

Warren's book is truly awful, and probably the worst book I've seen that's actually designed to help your game. I'm not sure whether it or <u>The Rules of Neighborhood Poker According to Hoyle</u> by Stuart Wolpin (I think I have that right) would get my vote as the worst book. I do remember seeing a book dating from the 1970s in which the author said that in Hold'em, which he called "Hold Me" (I think the original name was "Hold Me Darlin'"), there is no significance to your pre-flop holding unless it is AA or KK. I think the local library has that one. I'll have to look it up.
Old 08-22-2001, 12:19 AM

I believe the correct full name is "Hold Them Poker" which got shorten to hold 'em.
Old 08-22-2001, 02:23 AM

I agree with the Warren and Patrick books. I have them both. I do remember the Patrick insistence, of "I never chase straights." And he also commented that "No one in the world knows more about poker than I do."

I think Warren does have some good advice in there along with the bad, for instance, I think he has some good tips on reading tells in there. I think maybe he places a bit too much emphasis on them, but some of them are probably good. I do seem to remember reading comments about "playing your rush," in there, which made me raise my eyebrows a bit. I did laugh when he said that a formula he uses in low limit games when heads up on the river against an old man, is, "estimate his age, and subtract 70 from it. Whatever is left is the chance that he is bluffing." I think this is probably true! -Tim
Old 08-22-2001, 09:47 AM

Andy Nelson rates among the worst as well

jg
Old 08-22-2001, 10:08 AM

"Somewhere in the world is the worst doctor. "

Keep in mind that ALL doctors "PRACTICE" medicine.

John Patrick's books are by far the worst on all gambling subjects. they provide you with a sure fire formula for going broke.

"Winning low limit holdem" is pretty bad too.
Old 08-22-2001, 10:10 AM

"*When you are check-raised, you know two things: that you either have the best hand or you don't, and that your opponent may or may not have a better hand than you. "

Well, who's the moron now! OF COURSE this advice is PERFECTLY ACCURATE, don't you know ANYTHING about poker?

Actually, the comic value of this book does make it "almost" worth picking up. Ironically, there is a small amount of advice on tournament play that actually made some sense in this book, but the rest of it is crapola.

Dave in Cali

Old 08-22-2001, 10:13 AM

"The Rules of Neighborhood Poker According to Hoyle by Stuart Wolpin "

I first picked this book up probably ten years ago, looking for more home game variants for our dealer's choice games. I have to agree, it was pretty bad. After having read this book, I was inspired to write my own book concerning home poker, because there really aren't any particularly good ones out there. This book hardly covered anything that even remotely came close to the things that went on in MY home games. And some of the rules were pretty screwy. I never did write the book, but I still may some day, hell, almost anyone worth half their salt could write a better home poker book than this.

Dave in Cali