Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2003, 02:43 PM

Default marginal hand

Fairly good 4/8 game.

I'm BB with Q6o. 4 callers, SB completes, I check.

Flop: Q J 5
SB checks. I bet (too aggressive?). 2 callers. SB raises. I fold (too wimpy?).
-- I think I should have checked here instead of betting, with the idea of calling a single bet and folding to 2 bets?

Turn: Q (I cringe)
River: Blank

SB shows down AJs for 2 pair.

What is the best action in this type of situation? With the flop CR, I didn't really like my lonely Q very much...
Old 09-01-2003, 03:01 PM

Default Re: marginal hand

On the flop I think a bet is ok here. If you check here, its only with the intention of raising if its bet.

After you bet and were raised, even if you are extremely confident you are beat here, you have more than enough odds to see what the turn brings.
Old 09-01-2003, 03:05 PM

Having no idea if anyone will bet the flop or where the bet would come from, your flop bet is fine. Folding what can easily be the best hand when getting 11:1 is not fine. You never specified suits, but, given the way the SB played the flop, I would be more inclined to put him on a draw.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:21 AM

"If you check here, its only with the intention of raising if its bet."

Could you elaborate on the idea of check raising here? Is the goal to create more of a pot or to eliminate players? If he checks, UTG bets, and all call, should he still raise? Or is he hoping for checks around to button who makes a position raise? Also, if the goal is to eliminate opponents, does anyone feel a re-raise would be effective since players have already called one bet?

Old 09-02-2003, 03:32 AM

I like the idea of reraising here. It would give you a better idea of where you're at with regard to the overcallers (if there are any), and you get the chance to limit the field with your vulnerable hand. You may also get a weaker Q to fold, though not likely, as most players who will play a weak Q in EP would see top pair down all the way regardless. But in any case, I do like the 3-bet here. And I'd check it through on the river of course. If he check-raises the turn, then I'd lay it down.