Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2002, 03:49 PM

Default Very Saddened by John Walker Lindh Plea.....

.....as a parent, it seems a very severe penalty for the actions of a dumb, confused, screwed-up kid from a broken home. As other parents have seen with the kids who have ended up in cults, these organized religions, like the pedophile priests, prey on the young and vulnerable. That JWL embraced radical Islam vs a more peaceful cult, is a very sad twist of fate.

....as an American, and supporter of our military, it seems barely an appropriate penalty given the death of CIA officer Mike Spann. However, since we had no absolute proof of JWL's role in his death, it's probably a just penalty.

And despite buffoon attorney general Ashcroft's statement that this was "a great victory in America's war on terrorism" (funny how he sounds like an American version of an al-Qaeda spokeman), this episode leaves me feeling quite hollow. In the early reports from CNN, I didn't see any mention of whether there could be any parole - did anybody see or hear about possible early release?
Old 07-15-2002, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Very Saddened by John Walker Lindh Plea.....

I couldn't agree with you more. I didn't see if his two ten-year sentences will run concurrently, or consecutively, or when JWL might be eligible for parole, but I can't think this is a "great victory".

Tom D
Old 07-15-2002, 04:38 PM

the funny thing is the guy had a real good chance of getting off.

about the cia guy, i just cant believe it. it was guys like him that trained the latin american death squads to torture nuns and stuff. only god knows what atrocities that guy personally committed.

brad
Old 07-15-2002, 05:18 PM

Umm...how are you going to try and equate banging on a tambourine in an airport and chanting "hare krsna" with strapping an automatic rifle to your body and going into battle against YOUR OWN COUNTRY!!?

To say that he was a confused cultist is assinine. The fact IS he was among a contingent of troops that committed the cold blooded mob-frenzied killing of an american. He was interviewed by Americans and never ONCE said, "Oh..umm..my love of Islam and quest for spiritual enlightenment has gotten me to this place, where I am involved in armed battle against my fellow Americans. I hereby admit I was wrong, was misled and I will be more than willing to tell you everything I know about this maniac Bin Laden and the bastards that serve him." No, instead he pretended he couldn't even speak english and remained mute throughout his taped interrogation. And even after events unfolded and he was removed from his "brainwashing" environment, he still did not fathom the grievous crimes he committed. No, instead he was spouting to anyone with a microphone how the U.S.S. Cole attack was "justified" and that he was aware of the World Trade Center attacks and he was, in effect, attempting to rationalize them.

It is no consolation to any American that he was too gullible, too young, too stupid or too ignorant to NOT be found doing what he was doing...waging war against his own country. I, too am saddened by his plea..it means he will one day see the light of day. I wish he would have been taken to trial and found guilty of the charges and sentenced to life without the possibility of parole.

Stop trying to rationalize his treason. His actions were unpardonable and he should be shackled for the remaining 60 or so expected years of his life and be forced to think of what he did and the people it affected and the country he knifed in the back.

Old 07-15-2002, 05:36 PM

No parole in the federal system. You get a sentence and do it. Sometimes there is mandatory supervised release after a prison term though I think. But no parole. He'll do 20.
Old 07-15-2002, 05:38 PM

Default I Guess......

.....you never made any mistakes at 19.

.....you see the world so clearly in black & white, right & wrong

.....you know what its like to come from a completely fucked-up disfunctional family

I am in awe. Do you have kids?
Old 07-15-2002, 05:54 PM

My sentiments exactly. It doesn't take much imagination to envision maybe a nephew getting caught up in something like this. So many kids are off the deep end these days - just go downtown in any city in America and take a look around. It really is a stressed out world with plenty of evidence that our American way isn't without blame.

Old 07-15-2002, 06:04 PM

Default Re: I Guess......

".....you never made any mistakes at 19.

.....you see the world so clearly in black & white, right & wrong

.....you know what its like to come from a completely fucked-up disfunctional family "

wrong on all three counts, Wogga. Why am i not surprised.

1. I did make mistakes at 19 they just did not amount to TREASON.

2. I see the world clearly, unlike you, Mr Rose Tinted Glasses

3. I came from a dysfunctional family..and I and most of my siblings have managed to overcome it make successes of our lives.

So rethink your opinions and get your head out of your...errmm...Mason might not like what I was about to type.

see ya and wouldnt wanna be ya!

desire
Old 07-15-2002, 06:32 PM

i thought it was ten years x 2 served concurrently..out in 10..???
Old 07-15-2002, 06:49 PM

Not sure. Stories I read say 20. One story mentioned the possibility of good time, max 3 yrs after court approval on 20 year sentence. I don't know much about federal sentences and want to keep it that way, but in general no parole. Give me friendly old state court where you make up the rules as you go along. Too many rules and guidelines in those well-appointed federal courtrooms.;-)