Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2003, 11:49 PM

Default Baseball musical chairs? Benitez to Mariners for Nelson.

From ESPN article:

"SEATTLE -- Just 2½ weeks after getting him, the New York Yankees traded Armando Benitez to the Seattle Mariners for fellow reliever Jeff Nelson in a surprising swap Wednesday between division leaders.

"It is definitely unusual, but we were both interested in improving ourselves,'' Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said. "Hopefully we did that.''

The deal comes less than a week after the trade deadline. Each team actually claimed the other player, permitting them to make a deal only with each other. Each right-hander is eligible to become a free agent after the season.

Seattle and New York open a three-game series at Yankee Stadium on Friday night."

I haven't figured this one out yet. The Yanks didn't use Benitez much. Nelson is familar with both clubs so it may be better deal for the Yankees. Benitez is a wild card now more than ever. A real gamble I think, I hope it pays off. With Oakland breathing down their necks the Mariners cannot afford to make many mistakes. Only a 3 game lead at present.

The Yanks/Mariners series will be a good one to watch this weekend. Hope Moyer pitches one of the games.

-Zeno

Old 08-07-2003, 12:35 AM

Default Re: Baseball musical chairs? Benitez to Mariners for Nelson.

Nelson made some public complaints about the Mariner's front office failing to improve the team before the deadline. Without those comments, I don't think this trade would have happened.

It's possible that the Mariners want Benitez as an emergency closer just in case Kazuhiro Sasaki isn't able to return to form when he gets of the DL. However, Shigetosi Hasegawa has been so excellent in the role, I think the Mariners should leave him there even when Sasaki is back and 100% healthy.

Overall, the trade is a wash talent wise. But, the Mariners get rid of a player who's been bitching and the Yankees get rid of a player who isn't popular in New York.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:52 AM

I thought the trade was perfect irony. A player known for being great during the regular season and flailing in the playoffs gets traded to a team who does great during the regular season and flails in the playoffs. The Mariners winning 116 games during the 2001 regular season and then subsequently losing 4-1 to the Yankees in the postseason was a pretty memorable choke job.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:49 AM

The Yankees must have felt Benitez, after closing for so long with the Mets, was uncomfortable as a set-up man. Nelson, of course, if used to that role, and is particularly tough on righties.

Nelson will now have played twice for both the Yankees and Mariners.

Both the Yankees and Mariners will have their hands full the rest of the way against two tought teams on their tails.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:09 AM

I think Dynasty hit the nail on the head. The big news here is that the Mariners didn't do anything before the deadline--fans are upset. I think we'd like to unload Cirillo and maybe Garcia, but both of them are doing so poorly that it'd be tough to get much in return. At least Cirillo is an excellent fielder, but the BA is down to .210. Garcia would be tough to give up on, IMO. I think he'll stay. Nelson complained that he was used to the Yankees making deals and doing what it takes to win, but the M's don't. Kind of ironic that he'd wind up there. Griffey used to openly bash the Mariner front office...I guess Nelson ain't no Griffey. I guess the FO is tired of that game.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:16 AM

Bah. They did choke in 2001, but also surprised the baseball nation in 1995. I'd say it's a wash.

Remember 1995? They had to win a one-game playoff with..um...shoot. Who was it?

9-1, with Luis Sojo having an inside the park grandslam (okay, so there were errors).

To those who were in Seattle in 1995, they will always remember the magic. it's the only good sports moment in seattle since the late '70's. Wow. (oh, and UW winning the national championship in 1991)

Josh
Old 08-07-2003, 04:17 AM

Whaddya mean they didn't do anything? They got their much needed bat in the form of .207 hitting Rey Sanchez!!!

As for griping about the front office...it's a different front office. Also, I think the griping may have propelled the trade, it wasn't the sole reason (I hope).

J
Old 08-07-2003, 04:19 AM

Yeah, hands full for sure. It bothers me as a die-hard mariners fan. I've said all year that they aren't that good, and if Tejada and Chavez ever start doing anything, Oakland is the better team, period. Now, look out.

So, I'm almost resigned to the WildCard. But the RedSox are my second favorite team (Because I hate the Yankees). So I have to root against them. If Seattle just wins the rest of their games, that would be pretty fanbloodytastic.

JW
Old 08-07-2003, 04:21 AM

Seattle wins 2 outta 3. They have better starting pitching and bullpen (Even Garcia, who has struggled of late...He's got great stuff, and a not-great head. But in big games, he usually rectifies the situation).

Now that you've heard what my heart has to say, who knows what my brain says...

Josh W
Old 08-07-2003, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Garcia would be tough to give up on, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Garcia has not proven anything yet. If I were the M's, I'd be happy to get a live body for him at this point. Consider these numbers:

year ERA WHIP
1999 4.07 1.47
2000 3.91 1.42
2001 3.05 1.12
2002 4.39 1.30
2003 5.57 1.44

Quick, which one of these is not like the others? That's right, 2001, when he won 18 games, and people started calling him a great pitcher. He hadn't done anything particularly great before 2001 , and he's gotten a lot worse since 2001. All of this while pitching half his games in a pretty good pitcher's park. I mean seriously... a 5.57 ERA? Even Colorado pitchers don't have ERA's that high. Garcia should be on the DL for the fork he has lodged in his back.