Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2002, 04:57 AM

Default Settle a Bet: Gambling Lingo ?

Player A and Player B wager $10 on a coin flip. Player A has heads, Player B has tails. Its heads. Player B says "double or nothing on another flip". Player A says "Ok". Player A has heads again, Player B tails again. Its heads again.

How much money does Player B owe Player A?

Thanks,

KJS
Old 06-24-2002, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Settle a Bet: Gambling Lingo ?

$20
Old 06-24-2002, 09:57 AM

Default $20 *NM*

Old 06-24-2002, 11:18 AM

is this a trick question? if it is it is presumably because both parties put a $10 bill at risk and the winner has possession of $20, although he has only won $10. but the common usage by every bettor that i know of would say $20.

Pat
Old 06-24-2002, 01:45 PM

Not a trick question.

One of the parties in my bet believes that the term "double or nothing" means that the loser is putting up 2X the original on the second flip against the chance to owe nothing. Therefore, they would owe $30 if they lost again--$10 from the first bet and $20 from the second bet. This would mean that "double or nothing" has a meaning distinct from "let's bet again".

KJS
Old 06-24-2002, 02:41 PM

Default Re: i see

if he just said "i'll bet $20" or "double it" maybe he would be right. but when someone says "double or nothing" the double refers to a second bet not to twice the money. or at least that is how everyone undestands it.

Pat
Old 06-25-2002, 12:10 AM

Default Nobody Thinks $30? Linguists--Help!

I think $30 and here's why. Let's see if anyone agrees. In my opinion, the phrase "double or nothing" is distinct from the phrase "let's bet again". I do not think that most people share this view, but I do think it is correct.

To me, the phrase "double or nothing" is applicable when people have a bet and the winner does not want to make the bet again. The loser, in order to attempt to get out of the hole, ups the ante by saying "OK, double or nothing", which I understand as "I will put up double the amount whereas you can only put up IOU from the previous bet". If the winner wins again, the IOU increases by a factor equal to double the amount of the first bet. In my example, from $10 to $30.

I do think that this phrase is commonly misused, much like "begging the question". Still, the bet I have is not on the common understanding but the definitive meaning of the phrase. Does anyone know a source to verify this?

Thanks.

KJS
Old 06-25-2002, 12:20 AM

Default Re: Nobody Thinks $30? Linguists--Help!

Who expects to get 2-1 on an even money bet? Yes they are out there, but the common meaning is as everybody above said it. You get double of what you have now =$20 or nothing =$0. It means let's bet again. Not OK you beat me, so now I'll lay you odds so you can really kill me. It makes more sense on the 3d bet. Let's say you win the first two $10 legs. You're up 20. The guy wants to get even. Double or nothing now means the bet goes to 20. You either win 40 or break even. Sometimes I saw that in pool halls where guys were playing sets like races to 7 or 9 or whatever. More commmonly I saw it when I was a kid playing stupid games. :-)
Old 06-25-2002, 12:22 AM

Default Re: P.S.

I told you a while back you should run for office. The strained interpretation you put on this proves your potential. Particularly since you are liberal, you could tell people their taxes were doubling when they were really tripling.:-)
Old 06-25-2002, 01:15 AM

Default Re: real answer

in ordinary speech often times a lot is left out because it is understood.

so in this case its

lets bet again and if you win ill owe you double,or if i lose ill owe you nothing.

...double...or...nothing.

again, this is very very common in spoken conversation and easy to see all the time in contrast to writing, but at the moment i cant think of a good example as going from general to specific example is sometimes very hard for my brain to do [img]/images/smile.gif[/img]

brad