Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 11:32 AM

Default How does this look? – flopped J high flush

I think I played this well, but since this line is a little new for me (haven’t typically pushed turn in these situations) I wanted to get some feedback.

2/4 5 handed.

Villain (BB) is a decent tight-aggressive player. He’ll get out of the way with nothing, but tends to play hard when he’s got it. Effective stacks are about 330.

2 limpers to me and I call with JTs on the button. SB completes, BB checks.

Pot: $20

Flop: 9s 6s 2s

Villain bets 9, MP calls, I raise to 55, villain calls.

Pot: $150 ish

Turn: 3h

Villain bets 35, I push for about 250 total.

My question is whether the all-in is Ok here. Should I have bet less (still giving him incorrect odds)? I would like to extract more, but I think my hand is vulnerable.

Here are my concerns about seeing the river:
1) a spade falls and he’s got the As (something like As 9c is what I put him on)
2) the board pairs and he boats up
3) one of the above things happens and he has nothing but bluffs me out of a pot anyway

I think I’m ahead here most of the time. I didn’t expect to get a call with this bet, but I didn’t want to see the river either. As always, any and all comments appreciated.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Re: How does this look? – flopped J high flush

There's nothing wrong with the line you took but it guarantees you get stacked by a higher flush if one's out there already. Some players underbet the nuts like this because they don't want you to go away. Against them, call turn, call/check behind river can be way better because they won't ever call your raises with a worse hand and won't get full value when they've got a better hand. However, most players are making these puny bets to price in their naked A draw so, without a read, what you did is better. Raising less and having to fold getting great odds on a bad river card could really suck.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:10 PM

he could be weak leading a lower flush, but its much more likely to be a blocking bet to see a cheap river. Nice raise.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:13 PM

Afterwards, he said that he had a set. This suprised me as I thought he would have been more agg with a hand like that. I guess I represented my hand pretty strongly, though.

Bercause of my read on the hand, I think that I would have paid off a non-spade card that paired on the board on the river. This makes me happier with my play, but I posted it here because I didn't want to get too results oriented, yadda, yadda...