Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 05:06 PM

Default Question For Raptor (Re: Why aren\'t you better?)

I usually agree with most of Raptor's posts, but this last one about chipping up in the early stages of 215s has me confused.

"this means not folding AQ from the bb on lvl 2 to a SINGLE raise to 90. this means being able to play a flop, turn, and river well. this means implementing cash game strategies to gain chips in the early stages of the stt. thats really all there is to it. "

Now, I agree that you need to open up your hand selection more in the early levels, but I don't really think playing these marginal hands out of position is the way to go about it.

When I'm opening up my hand selection, I'm looking to get into position with hands that have the potential to flop big... whenever my immediate goal of taking the pot down on the flop doesnt work. I found this to be a more effective way of gathering chips than by making the marginal calls from the big blind.

What am I missing out on? What's your standard for playing the AQ out of the big blind against a standard raise from a standard 215 opponent?
Old 12-08-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Question For Raptor (Re: Why aren\'t you better?)

[ QUOTE ]
I usually agree with most of Raptor's posts, but this last one about chipping up in the early stages of 215s has me confused.

"this means not folding AQ from the bb on lvl 2 to a SINGLE raise to 90. this means being able to play a flop, turn, and river well. this means implementing cash game strategies to gain chips in the early stages of the stt. thats really all there is to it. "

Now, I agree that you need to open up your hand selection more in the early levels, but I don't really think playing these marginal hands out of position is the way to go about it.

When I'm opening up my hand selection, I'm looking to get into position with hands that have the potential to flop big... whenever my immediate goal of taking the pot down on the flop doesnt work. I found this to be a more effective way of gathering chips than by making the marginal calls from the big blind.

What am I missing out on? What's your standard for playing the AQ out of the big blind against a standard raise from a standard 215 opponent?

[/ QUOTE ]

PM him.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:51 PM

Don't call out players by name in the title of threads. It's rude, and nobody likes it.

You've already been given one suggestion about how to reach Raptor if he's the one you want to talk to.

Your question is legitimate and a good discussion on the topic does not require personalizing the title.

I know you didn't mean anything by it, but it is a frequent enough breach of etiquette that I thought I would mention it.

Irieguy
Old 12-08-2005, 05:54 PM

I don't think Raptor minds. The OP didn't say anything negative about Raptor, just asked him to elaborate on a piece of strategy he wrote.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:11 PM

Raptor isn't the only one I want to discuss it with, but since it's his quote that I'm referencing, I figured it would be appropriate to address him.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't call out players by name in the title of threads. It's rude, and nobody likes it.

You've already been given one suggestion about how to reach Raptor if he's the one you want to talk to.

Your question is legitimate and a good discussion on the topic does not require personalizing the title.

I know you didn't mean anything by it, but it is a frequent enough breach of etiquette that I thought I would mention it.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, its much more appropriate and polite to produce a veiled insult against another player without mentioning their name, yet making it very obvious who this person is. I am of course referring to your post from many months ago where you went out of your way to say how wrong I was about many topics and how I probably wasn't even a winning player, but slyly went about excluding my handle from the post and instead referred to me as a "prolific poster who everyone thinks is good that excels at other games", so as to make it seem as if you weren't directly attacking one player in particular.

If anyone wants to see that post, here it is http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/show...rue#Post2507004

I don't want to get into that again, but don't get all high and mighty about stuff like this. I have behaved rudely and badly on here, you have behaved rudely, and neither of us have made any admission that they behaved like a child (Okay Im sort of doing so right now). In any case it's hard for me to give much weight to moral advice given to someone who would post something such as that which I linked to above.

In any case I don't see anything wrong with the post title.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:36 PM

Wait, so calling in the BB with AQ to a 3x BB raise isn't standard? I must have missed something...
Old 12-08-2005, 06:44 PM

Yes, please don't kill the poker part of this thread. I'd love to hear a discussion on this as well.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:58 PM

Also, is it different for 800 chips games, or is calling a raise only appropriate with 1000 starting?

Zipppy
Old 12-08-2005, 07:03 PM

I don't usually call a 3x BB raise from early position from the BB with AQo early on,