Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 07:03 AM

Default Digital video recorder, computer, or both?

I would like to enter the world of digital video recording. More specifically, I would like to get a TIVO-like device to replace my VCR, and transfer the content of my VHS tapes to DVDs. Before transferring my VHS tapes to DVD, I may wish to do basic cut-and-paste video editing and to create DVD chapters. I would appreciate if someone could address my newbie questions:

Are there any stand-alone digital video recorder units that would do a good job with all of the above? If so, what should I look for? If not, could a computer handle these tasks well? Would it be much wiser to get a DVR for recording live broadcasts and use my computer for the VHS tape to DVD transfers and video editing? Is it possible to transfer digital video files from some or most DVR units to your computer's hard drive (for the purpose of editing and DVD/VCD creation) through input/output connectors?

Finally, I would welcome recommendations for websites where a newbie like me can learn about digital video recording.

Regards,

MJS