Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Group 3 - Two vs. Four
Office Space (4) 112 55.72%
The Big Lebowski (2) 89 44.28%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2005, 07:18 PM

Default river quicky

button is unknown.

Party Poker 10.00/20.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(6 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3.00 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (3.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero???

Obviously, the best action in this situation is very player dependent, but what is your default play against an unknown?
Old 12-05-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Re: river quicky

Weird hand, he checks the turn like he was on a draw. It's either a bet/fold or check/fold on the river, I'm torn. If the pot were slightly bigger, I'd definitely say bet out and see if you can steal a pot.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:31 PM

Default for me is check, but I don't really know where to bluff enough.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:31 PM

I'd check it. Yea his play is consistent with a draw, but a lot of donks play a pair this way. I have no idea why really but they do. On top of that a busted draw will sometimes bluff raise. I don't think you take it down 1 in 4.5.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:48 PM

The reason I posted this hand is that I find most players seem to auto-bet the river OOP HU when the turn checks through. I tend to be more judicious in this situation and wonder if I'm leaving money on the table.

Against an unknow, how big does the pot need to be before a bet becomes standard for you?
Old 12-05-2005, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
his play is consistent with a draw, but a lot of donks play a pair this way. I have no idea why really but they do

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I notice this alot, it makes zero sense to me.

As for the hand, I prolly just check, because I dont think he has the draw or folds often enough for it to work.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd check it. Yea his play is consistent with a draw, but a lot of donks play a pair this way. I have no idea why really but they do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally anecdotal, but I see this sort of crap at Stars all the time (seems much less so at Party / Euro, etc.).
Old 12-05-2005, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
his play is consistent with a draw, but a lot of donks play a pair this way. I have no idea why really but they do

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's the cheap showdown. That board is pretty scary to K4; his line avoids getting turn-CRed by a tricky draw or pair+draw hand that he's ahead of, or a king that he has hidden outs against. Additionally, it induces a ton of river bluff bets, as the respones of this thread have attested. I take this line sometimes, although probably too often.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's the cheap showdown. That board is pretty scary to K4; his line avoids getting turn-CRed by a tricky draw or pair+draw hand that he's ahead of, or a king that he has hidden outs against. Additionally, it induces a ton of river bluff bets, as the respones of this thread have attested. I take this line sometimes, although probably too often.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think thats a poor line to take with a hand like K4, I wouldnt really fear a turn checkraise from a thinking player in this situation, and the non thinking types aggro it up on the flop with the hands you described.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:22 PM

I think your flop bet sucks. With 3 broadways on the board, you have a weak draw OOP and somebody will always call.
The pot is tiny, and in the end you may well give up to J3 getting frisky.