Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 07:13 AM

Default 5 handed Q3s

what streets do you play differently? any value in the river? i have a few thoughts but i'd like to see your thoughts before i share them

villain is like 30/15/1.5, pretty decent postflop.

Ultimate Bet 80/160 Hold'em (5 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB
Old 12-05-2005, 07:17 AM

Default Re: 5 handed Q3s

Dynamic 3-bet on the flop. I really like it.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:21 AM

what about raising the turn and folding to a 3-bet

i would bet the river
Old 12-05-2005, 07:25 AM

i think you botched this one, but its not a disaster. Preflop is not good, you're gonna need one more player in before you can call this one. 57s or other hands that can flop more than a crappy top pair are a lot more playable here than Q3s.

That said, its probably only slightly less than breakeven. Peter_Rus says he can break even against 2 opponents but I dont think this is a very good spot. You're OOP against a good/decent player and youre hand is toward the bottom end of the suited hands Peter analyzed IMO.

I think you can find a bet on this river. He has no reason not to keep firing if he has a Q, and you have an easy easy fold to a c/r. I would bet.

flop/turn look good.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:32 AM

im not keen on folding this one preflop (because im so used to autocalling here), but you may be right based on what you say.

anyhow, on to the hand. what sorts of hands am i getting value from on the river?

and subfallen, i think i like a turn raise too, but i am sometimes too weak to fold to a 3bet which makes me not want to raise. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] a byproduct of running bad.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:34 AM

oops i thought he was unknown, that can't be right

i'm not sure what he's calling with there preflop, but what better hands wouldn't he bet the river with? do you think maybe he has a better Q but he wants to induce a bluff from a flush draw or something?

maybe he caught a pair with his flush draw...
Old 12-05-2005, 07:50 AM

I know you are sometimes ahead on the flop, but it is going to cost a ton to get to showdown with a hand that is behind a lot. Why not just fold the flop? Once you decide to play, I like the rest of the hand.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

anyhow, on to the hand. what sorts of hands am i getting value from on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

heart draw w/ a 6... some heart draw w/ a t or j that decided to go crazy on the flop and now wants to showdown for free. if the guy c-r the river you're obviously beat, but it looks like he has missed hearts w/ a pair.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:37 AM

I probably bet the flop since I bet alot of hands here.
Iīm with you on the rest of the hand, when he caps, you still canīt fold, so you either call down or pop the turn if you dont think he will be cabable of 3betting you lighter. If you think he will bet the river regardless, then there is less reason to raise on the turn.

At first I thought the rivercheck was standard as he may have a better Q, KQ/Q9 or a flushdraw, but the thing is, there is a fair ammount of flushdraws that have paired here and probably call due to the potsize, KJhh,KThh,J9hh,T9hh,T8hh, maybe A6hh, so it seems closer.
The KQ he should valuebet, but he doesnīt look like the most aggro guy, so he may not. Q9 he may not even play(preflop), perhaps the 2 suited versions and he seems more like a guy who would go call-down mode after your flop 3-bet with those, so we canīt weigh that too high either.

Overall, I think you have a bet and hope he isnīt tricky enough to CR you off it or too often with better hands.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:53 AM

I dislike preflop, I feel that you have enough value in a river bet. I think the rest of the hand is pretty standard.