Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 05:21 PM

Default Improving OOT (long)

It is apparent to me (and hopefully others) that this forum needs to be adjusted again.

I really didn't want to do this, but someone has to. Every time I read OOT I am reminded of feelings of how much better this forum would/should be if a few practices were to be disallowed and/or stopped.

Maybe I am the only one here who thinks this way. If this is the case and someone respectable (not necessarily a mod) tells me to shut the [censored] up I will. I promise.

Some things I think needs to change/stop occuring:

(In no particular order)

1) Stupid acronyms like YSSCKY. It is the most juvenile, unclever, non-insulting thing I have ever seen as a response. And it is always unprovoked. It only shows how unoriginal and immature you are.

Here is an example:
[ QUOTE ]

OP: "I like to have sex with fat women. Does this make me less of a man?"

DoucheBag: "YSSCKY"

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are guilty of this, please refrain from further use of this non-contributing practice.

2) Thread clutter. Threads become three pages long completely unnessarily. A few reasons:

A) Quoting a prior post without commenting or adding something. Someone has already said what you were thinking. What is so special about it that it needs repeating? Obviously there are times where this is appropriate, like in instances of offering congratulations, or sentiments of humor, appreciation, or condolences... etc. But for the most part this is a much overused and irritating practice. [censored] your post count.

B) Engaging in conversations and discussions that are off-topic. It is fine to do this, but start a new thread. When I open a thread that already has 50 posts and I have to wade through stretches 15 posts long that only two or three people care about it is cumbersome and takes away from the value of the thread.

C) Reviving ancient threads with a useless comment. After a thread has been read 5k times and has 250 comments I can't believe someone could have something useful to add to it that hasn't already been said.

D) Unfunny smart-ass responses. If it isn't funny and doesn't have any discussion value? Why say it?

E) FYP's. They were funny a long time ago. But now they are irritating and usually unamusing and useless. Furthermore they are often unprovoked attempts at insulting the poster of the original comment.

F) Poker euphemisms like NH, fold preflop, etc. No poker in OOT.

G) When someone posts a picture to convey a sentiment, usually sarcasm. I have seen the hot tub picture and the steaming dungpile way more that I would ever have cared to. It is doubly cumbersome due to being repeatedly quoted into subsequent posts.

3) Starting threads about [censored]. Pure useless BS. Why make up a story about something that didn't happen, then ask advice about how to proceed in said instance? I assume most of these are hypothetical situations that will probably never occur.

4) Starting threads about moral decisions. Most moral decisions can be self-answered. If it's too close of a call, fine. But chances are no one here will be able to make a better decision than you can. Furthermore, threads about moral decisions that are nothing more than someone looking for justification from others to do the wrong thing are ridiculous and do nothing but make the OP look like an [censored]. No one is going to tell you it's ok to cheat on your wife, nor are they going to care if you do or not. The exception is if you post a picture of the mistress. And say nothing.

5) Mistitled threads. I am sure most of the time this is nothing more than inadvertant poor wood usage. But, when I open a thread titled "NSFW", and don't see boobies, I feel cheated. I am downright offended when I click this, and see something I don't want to see, like a giraffe humping a beached whale carcass.

6) Posts that don't contribute in any way. This you'd think is self explicit, but I doubt the concept is clear to everyone. If what you are saying isn't going to contribute, why post it? [censored] your post count. No one cares once it gets over 200.

-----

Now if it looks as if I put a lot of thought into this, I have. The fact is if I didn't like this forum so much, I just wouldn't open it and spend my time elsewhere. What sets OOT apart from other BS forums is the fact that it is populated with respectable, intelligent people. It's the lack of intellect, maturity, and consideration of others that is keeping this forum from being as great is it could be.

Again, if I am alone in this, I am sure you will let me know. I am not suggesting a mass banning or that anyone apologize, I just would like to see people be a little more respectful in their usage of this great entertaining forum.

PG
Old 12-04-2005, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Improving OOT (long)

You left out this part:

"And so, my fellow OOTers, if you elect me, PokerGoblin, to be your moderator, I will come down on the violators of these guidelines in such a way that you will think [censored] was a pansy. Your friend,

PG

(vote early, vote often)"

I think OOT is fun...

you took an awful lot of your time making this thread when almost every one of these things have been brought up before. I mean it's just not going to change things much. It might have and effect in the short term, but long term it will mean nothing.

[censored] is the best thing that this forum has had, he is amazing. He takes care of people who are worthless, that is all we need.

Your life must be one big party.

Go all in!
Old 12-04-2005, 05:30 PM

SIIHP

this will be my first

YSSCKY

The mods here do a fine job.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:31 PM

Go outside, get some sun, make a friend.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The mods here do a fine job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but its not like there is a limit to the number of mods we have, right?
Old 12-04-2005, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this will be my first

YSSCKY

[/ QUOTE ]

i have nothing to add