Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 07:50 AM

Default Does the size of the bet matter in this case

I got in to an argument with a few people about this kind of scenario:

Situation A: A guy with 100$ stack plays heads and tails against a guy with 10$ stack, the bet is 1$. The game is beeing played until one of them looses all their money.

Situation B: A guy with 100$ stack plays heads and tails against a guy with 10$ stack, the bet is 10$. The game is beeing played until one of them looses all their money.

Does the guy with 100$ stack stand better chances of winning on situation B. Or are his chances as good in point situations.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Does the size of the bet matter in this case

point = both if you are wondering lol
Old 12-02-2005, 08:12 AM

his "chances" are just as good in both situations, but due to variance, it is more likely that he'll go broke in situation B.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:17 AM

if his chances are just as good in both situations, how can he go broke more likely in situation B due to variance. That asnwer doesn't make any sense in my mind.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:21 AM

because in A, he is only wagering 1/10 of his stack. Since he is Even Money, the chance of him losing all of that when only wagering 10% is low.

In B, he is wagering 100% of his stack. This means he only needs to lose his first hand to go broke, where as A has to lose his first 10 coinflips to go broke.

Basically, to go broke, A has to lose 10 times more than he wins, where as B only has to lose 1 more time than he wins.

Edit-- in this post I'm talking about the shortstack, not the $100 stack
Old 12-02-2005, 08:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
because in A, he is only wagering 1/10 of his stack. Since he is Even Money, the chance of him losing all of that when only wagering 10% is low.

In B, he is wagering 100% of his stack. This means he only needs to lose his first hand to go broke, where as A has to lose his first 10 coinflips to go broke.

Basically, to go broke, A has to lose 10 times in a row AT LEAST, where as B can go broke in 1 flip, 2 flips, 3 flips, etc depending on how he wins.

[/ QUOTE ]

In theory thats exactly what im thinking, but I don't know how to proof it. Is the formula too complicated in this kind of situation? Or does that even change the chances of bigstack winning those situations ? In situation B, the lowstack is ofcourse more at risk from the start BUT does it change his chances compared to situation A.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:33 AM

i edited my statement as it was incorrect, I'm not sure what I was thinking.

To restate: Situation A needs to lose 10 more times than he wins to go broke, Situation B needs to lose only 1 more time than he wins to go broke. Thus, it is more likely that Situation B goes broke, even though their odds are the same.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

To restate: Situation A needs to lose 10 more times than he wins to go broke, Situation B needs to lose only 1 more time than he wins to go broke. Thus, it is more likely that Situation B goes broke, even though their odds are the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I don't get. If its more likely that the lowstack in situation B goes broke, how can his odds be the same as in situation A? In both situations they are playing until other one is broke.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:39 AM

Just think about it. Shortstack A needs to lose 10 more times than he wins, B needs to lose 1 more time. Which is more likely to happen if you flip a coin...you get 10 more tails than heads, or you get 1 more tails than heads? Which is likely to happen SOONER?

try flipping a coin and find out.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:44 AM

I also slightly misread your question, but my reasoning still stands. The $100 stack has a better chance in Situation B, for the reasons provided.