Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 02:15 AM

Default OT: So there goes my bankroll...

I think this is a signing off post, more than anything.

I know that none of you want to hear my bitching, so I'm really not going to bitch. Just lay out the situation and possibly ask for advice.

A little over year ago I started grinding out bonuses at .5/1. Got my bankroll up to $330 and started playing the $11s. Kept so-so stats and beat them for a measly 14% ROI over 800 games or so.

Started playing the $22s and didn't keep stats, for a number of reasons (none of which are probably very good ones). Took that $330 well to over $3500 in a couple of months, pretty consistently winning, 2-tabling mostly, never suffered any kind of major swing. Cashed out quite a few times and last month took a shot at the $33s with about $1000.

Dropped about 15 buy-ins in a matter of a week and moved back down to the $22s. Looking back on it, I probably tilted away a good portion of the rest of the bankroll. Played the $11s for about a week but was so bored/frustrated that I basically gave up.

I'm not a very good card player, in general. I had played semi-decent push-fold poker, had plenty of leaks, played on a pretty big heater for a few months, handled a downswing poorly and have a big fat .36 cents in my Party account right now. I thought I knew what I was doing, but I really didn't. It's almost like I forget how I used to play at the $22s when everything was going so well.

Now that I've typed all of this out, I don't even think I need advice. I could put $100 of my own money back in and start grinding out the bonuses again, but I don't know if it's even worth my time. It's kind of hard to just start all over again.

If any of you want to give me any advice, go ahead. But I think I'm just signing off and saying thanks for all of the posts. I never made as much of an effort on these boards as I should of and I know my game suffered because of it.

I'm just another one of Irieguy's predictions, here one day and gone the next.

Take care.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:21 AM

Default Re: OT: So there goes my bankroll...

How exactly did you lose your $3500 or did you cash out a bunch of it?
Old 12-02-2005, 02:21 AM

{{davehwm}} Hug.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How exactly did you lose your $3500 or did you cash out a bunch of it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry if that wasn't clear. Over the whole period of time I cashed out increments here and there totaling about $2500. Leaving me with $1000 to play the $33s.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:24 AM

Any good player can lose $1000 in the 33s. Hell I just lost $500 tonite in the $22s.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any good player can lose $1000 in the 33s. Hell I just lost $500 tonite in the $22s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I hear that. But I lost about $500 at the 33s, which I didn't think was totally crazy. I still dropped back down to the $22s, with close to a 30 buy-in bankroll. The downswing just continued back at the $22s but, now that I look back at it, really involved a lot of tilt.

I honestly think I'd just never experienced a major downswing before and had no idea how to deal with the tilt. It was a downward spiral.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:29 AM

i lost $500 at the $27's in one day...and gained it all back that same day. as far as advice goes, leave the game until you remember that you're good, then deposit some dough and start grinding with us again.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I honestly think I'd just never experienced a major downswing before and had no idea how to deal with the tilt. It was a downward spiral.

[/ QUOTE ]

people underestimate how psychological this game is. you'll be back, stronger than ever.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:37 AM

I really do appreciate the kind words. My mistake is not keeping stats. I could give a good estimate of how many games I played if I sat down and crunched the numbers. I just went about the whole thing pretty irresponsibly. I was confident at the time that I was a winning player at the $22s.

If I do come back and give it another shot, it'll be done in a whole new way, and will be after the new year.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If any of you want to give me any advice, go ahead. But I think I'm just signing off and saying thanks for all of the posts. I never made as much of an effort on these boards as I should of and I know my game suffered because of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The operative word here is effort. You might also add in passion if you like.

Sounds to me like you do have a good understanding of the basics and can/will be a winning player in the long run if you will devote some "caring" about the game to your efforts.

Irie (and others) have also said that if they had quit the game every time they got frustrated or lost a bunch, it would have cost them thousands in the long run.

Quit if you like, study and improve if you enjoy the game.

Best wishes either way. Slacker