Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2003, 02:49 AM

Default No Limit help

I am fairly new to poker in general and what i do know comes from limit based holdem books. About the only thing i know about no limit is from watching the WSOP, WPO, and WPT tapes that i have collected over the past year.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest some good books, articles or anything at all that would help me with my no limit game.

I play in a weekly no limit tourney style home game and have been playing the no limit sit and gos on paradise for the past week or so. I am doing ok in both but would like to learn more about no limit strategy. Thanks in advance!

IaHawk19
Old 07-05-2003, 09:52 AM

Default Re: No Limit help

The best advice I can give you is that it's better to make a big bet than call a big bet.

Never call a big bet (even if you're pretty sure he's bluffing), unless you've got the best hand.
Old 07-05-2003, 11:34 AM

I would check out the books/software section of the forum. You will be able search the archives, as well as ask this same question there and get a lot of good advice.

As far as the books I have read, and felt that I learned quite a bit from, my first pick would have to be Championship Pot Limit and No Limit Hold'em by TJ Cloutier and Tom McEvoy.

There is a lot of controversy surrounding this book and it's worth, I know that, so flamers, save your wrists from carpal tunnel. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I also have Tournament Poker for Advanced Players by David Sklansky, and I love all of the Sklansky books because they make me think, think, think and dig deeper.

I have heard that the NLPL book by Ciaffione is excellent, but have not purchased it yet, although I have read excerpts.

I have played about 100 NLHE sit-n-go's to date, from the lowest buy-ins, at $5.50, to the $11 and now some $22 SNG's. I have played on various sites, although my best success lies at a site like Stars, with a slower structure and more starting chips. UB is similar. There is a different strategy needed altogther at sites like Paradise and Party.

Right now I am at a 50% cash rate, about 15% win rate. I will need more tourneys for this to be a good average, but that is where I am at right now.

Good luck!
Old 07-07-2003, 09:49 AM

The best advice you can get on NLHE tournaments is on this board. Just follow the discussions, and post some hands of your own.