Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Tipping

I was lucky enough to get to a chop this weekend. It was my first live tourney and my take was about 2100. I wanted to know what a reasonable tip would be. Also, does the percent I tip change if I win more. I tipped the dealers 50 and the poker director 50. Most tipped 150 total but I thought I was being fair. So I tipped about 5%. Too much or too little
What would the right amount be if you won a million. I couldn't see tipping 50g's, thanks for all thoughts. Maybe some examples of what others have seen and done would be appreciated.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Tipping

Brad Kondracki (of 2+2) tipped 5g's to dealers at the WSOP, but apparently some of the dealers felt they were gyped, which offended him.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:31 PM

I'm not a dealer. Here is my take:

Tipping is voluntary. It always has been, it always will be. If people don't like the tip they are offered, it is more than appropriate to simply hand it back to the individual who offered it to you.

Dealers that feel gypped by $5000 can hand it back. Why do I get the feeling that none of them did that?
Old 11-28-2005, 03:41 PM

the standard for big tourneys is 3%. you have to consider that only the 10% of the field that makes the money will tip. so i guess the excessive tips of one time makes up for the times you dont cash.
The problem with the WSOP is they withhold either 2 or 3 percent for the staff but somehow the dealers get only half of this (it goes to some sort of staff maybe the tourney directors). So the dealers feel cheated when the players dont give their 2%. But the players feel that the tip is already taken out and its the fault of the people running the tourney if the tips are not big enough. so is a touchy subject especially when you consider withheld money.