Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 01:43 PM

Default some observations about the split

Since the split, I’ve been reading at both MHUSH and SHUSH, and have a few observations.

First, it appears that the split has been great for those long-time posters who play at 10/20 and above, as MHUSH is plainly much more streamlined and consistently substantive.

Second, it seems that SHUSH has attracted many low-limit and micro-limit players who never used to post at the old HUSH. Thus, the split also seems to be working well for those who play up to 3/6, and for those who are relatively new to short-handed play.

But I feel that I may be in a group of players that don’t fit very well into either place now, i.e., 5/10 players who are no longer beginners at six-max, yet are far from experts. SHUSH, at least at these early stages, seems overwhelmingly full of beginner-type threads, with submissions by relative six-max beginners. There may be some thought-provoking discussions there, but they are pretty hard to find.

I realize that the decision was made to make MHUSH 10/20 and higher because most felt that the 5/10 GAME bore more resemblance to the lower levels than the higher levels. But from what I’m seeing so far, the PEOPLE who post about 5/10 hands tend to more in common (experience-wise) with the people who post about 10/20 hands, than those who post about 3/6 or lower. Perhaps this is just the way things seem to me from my own myopic point of view, though.

Anyway, I just wanted to re-open the discussion about where the split really should be, now that we have the benefit of seeing the effect of the split. Also, I’m curious whether anyone else feels somewhat displaced by the split.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:45 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: some observations about the split

making hand posts is overrated, and thats the only area where anything has changed for 5/10 players
Old 11-28-2005, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I’m curious whether anyone else feels somewhat displaced by the split.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've noticed the same things, but it doesn't really bother me much. I will probably largely ignore SHUSH and spend more time here, as I'm hoping to move up to 10/20 anyways.

EDIT: By "largely ignore," I mean I will be much less apt to read posts by unknowns in SHUSH than I will in MUSH.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:32 PM

Didnt really change much for me. I dont post many hands anyway. Seems like small stakes is the new micro limit forum though. I recognice a ton of people who probably just lurked before. Thats very positive.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:33 PM

I haven't stepped foot in SHUSH since the split, but I'll have to go check it out to see what you mean. I had a feeling this would happen after the split.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:01 PM

Hey Wynton,

I sympathize with your situation. Hopefully you wont feel as ostracized as you do now after things settle down a bit.

IMO, it is up to the veteran 3/6 and 5/10 HUSHers to make SSHUSH a high-content discussion and not just a 6max beginner forum. Lots of players have come over and there appears to be a ton of discussion going on between them, which was one reason the forum was created. I can't speak for other HUSH veterans, I open up the SSHUSH forum a few times a day - but i'm not going to dive into some random guys 1/2 post. If I see you, or DMBFan, or Stellar, et al has made a new post i'll check it out and give my input. I still think there's plenty of discussion to be had.

Also, there's nothing stopping you from replying to threads here - your comments are always well-thought out and you will probably stand to learn just as much, if not more.

Let me know if there's anything I can do.

Surf
Old 11-28-2005, 04:26 PM

I was on vacation for a week, so I just came back and noticed the split. I was concerned about the very thing Wynton mentions, but I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing.

Right now I'm a 5/10 player, and I'll probably lurk a lot in MHUSH (and reply once in a while, too) to learn more advanced topics to improve my game.

I still plan on spending time in SSHUSH, though, because really a little review never hurts, you know? I think reading and replying to some simple, basic questions can have a pretty positive effect on your game, as it will really help ingrain some basic concepts into your game. Lots of times we say we know these simple concepts, but don't apply them consistently. I know for me that's one of the things holding me back from hitting the next level.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was on vacation for a week, so I just came back and noticed the split. I was concerned about the very thing Wynton mentions, but I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing.

Right now I'm a 5/10 player, and I'll probably lurk a lot in MHUSH (and reply once in a while, too) to learn more advanced topics to improve my game.

I still plan on spending time in SSHUSH, though, because really a little review never hurts, you know? I think reading and replying to some simple, basic questions can have a pretty positive effect on your game, as it will really help ingrain some basic concepts into your game. Lots of times we say we know these simple concepts, but don't apply them consistently. I know for me that's one of the things holding me back from hitting the next level.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with all this, and to add to it I would say those of us at this awkward adolescent stage of our development really have no choice but to lurk/post on both boards, regardless of where the split is. I would say if you are good enough to ignore SS, it's time to move up already.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:32 PM

i think the split is awesome.

no more sifting through .5/1 threads. no more weekly "need a preflop chart" threads.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no more weekly "need a preflop chart" threads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry.