Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 03:36 PM

Default Cold Calling in BB, and SB when Shorthanded

Hi all,
Scenario: 3-4 handed, sit and go, I have Medium stack, 11-15x's BB and am in BB, solid to slightly loose aggressive Button or Cutoff Raises 2.5 - 5x's BB, What do I with hands like Q9, K9, A8, etc...is it too weak to fold here short handed? Is cold calling correct? Would I ever raise here?(not as a bluff raise)

-Thanks.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Cold Calling in BB, and SB when Shorthanded

[ QUOTE ]
Hi all,
Scenario: 3-4 handed, sit and go, I have Medium stack, 11-15x's BB and am in BB, solid to slightly loose aggressive Button or Cutoff Raises 2.5 - 5x's BB, What do I with hands like Q9, K9, A8, etc...is it too weak to fold here short handed? Is cold calling correct? Would I ever raise here?(not as a bluff raise)

-Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very vague questions with so many variables, I don't know what kind of answer you are looking for.

[ QUOTE ]
3-4 handed

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is it, there is a huge difference. 3 handed you can be much looser, taking risk and play for first now that your are in the money. 4 handed, you have to pick your spots more carefully, especially if there is a short stack.

As for cold calling a raise with specific hands or re-raising, this is very read dependent. If the player is infact only slightly loose your calling range has to tighten up a lot. If the raiser has been raising a lot of hands and the size of his raise is pretty standard you may be able to loosen up and come over the top more often.

Post specific hands and you'll get better feedback.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi all,

-Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi. With that range of hands...I would normally call 2.5x raises, fold 5x raises, and reraise neither. Have a nice day!
Old 11-21-2005, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the input!
Old 11-21-2005, 03:51 PM

Ok, Next post I'll narrow it down with some sample hands, Since it is a shorthanded situation, I know you have to loosen up, even against a standard tight player, My question was kind of leaning towards knowing how much to lower my calling standards in those shorthanded situations, but you're correct, I needed more detail.

Thanks.