Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2003, 04:55 PM

Default Super Satellite - Flopped Bottom Two Pair

NL Hold'Em super satellite for WCOOP Event No.11

23 players left, top 18 move onto next stage.

I have 6,700 chips left which places me about 15th.

I post the 600 big blind (which leaves me with 6,100).

Folded to button, who raises 600 to 1,200 (i.e. just one BB).

SB folds.

With pocket T8o I decide to call for the pot odds (essentially I put in 600 more for a chance to win 1,300 blinds + antes, + the button's 1,200, so it's essentially 600 to win 2,500 for me).

After putting in 1,200 the button still has 12,700 chips.

Flop is T K 8 rainbow (I've flopped bottom two pair). By now there's 3,100 in the pot (after I called the button's mini- raise).

I've got 5,500 chips left. I decide to bet 2,300 to make it unattractive for the button to chase any potential straight draw and so that I still have enough left to have the option to fold if he comes back over the top of me (not that I would but if I am convinced that he has me beat I might) and so that I have an extra barrel to bet with on the turn in case he calls. I'm thinking that if he calls and an Ace or 9 appears on the turn that I probably shut down.

Button calls. Turn card is a Queen (making it two of a suit on the board).

The thought crosses my mind that he might have AJ but I think it unlikely (I doubt he'd call 2,300 on the flop for a gutshot straight draw).

Looking at it now J9 was also a possibility (open-ended straight draw) but I admit at the time that this skipped my mind. If he did have J9 on the flop, was my bet big enough to make it unattractive for him to call?

I move the rest of my chips (3,200) all in. Button calls and flips over pocket Jacks.

River card is another Queen and I am beat (Queens and Jacks vs. Queens and Tens).

Was there anything I could/should have done differently or was it just rotten luck yet again?

The thought haunts me that maybe I didn't bet enough on the flop. Should I have bet more and/or moved all in on the flop?