Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 08:31 AM

Default Gigabet Hand. I just don\'t know.

Here goes a long thread prolly.

This is Gig's play from a $22 Pokerstars short handed MTT.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1600 (3 handed) converter

Button (t66901)
Gigabet (t53315)
BB (t35929)

Preflop: Gigabet is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t3200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Gigabet raises to t8000</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t4800.

Flop: (t16075) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Gigabet checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t3200</font>, Gigabet calls t3200.

Turn: (t22475) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Gigabet checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t20800</font>, Gigabet calls t20800.

River: (t64075) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Gigabet bets t21240 (All-In)</font>, Button folds.

Final Pot: t85315
Old 11-18-2005, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Gigabet Hand. I just don\'t know.

Does Gigabet really play $22 tournaments?! (Are you sure the hand is the real Gigabet?) And why didn't you post this in the MTT forum... or did you mean that the hand is from an STT?
Old 11-18-2005, 09:43 AM

It is my hand, I do last longers with various people, and the stars mtts are the perfect venue. Not to mention the practice.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does Gigabet really play $22 tournaments?! (Are you sure the hand is the real Gigabet?) And why didn't you post this in the MTT forum... or did you mean that the hand is from an STT?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really him. I guess this belongs in MTT, but I always post here. Oh well.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:58 AM

I think this is a pretty straightforward play. Down to the final 3? The villain has to be on a wide range of hands, but let's analyze. He is most likely pushing AK, AQ, down to small pocket pairs at this stage. Since he didn't do that, we will assume he has a marginal hand. At 3 handed it could be virtually anything. Gigabet's holding is relatively meaningless here. So thinking about the play backwards and from the villain's point of view, he got trapped. Busted flush draw maybe? A-J or lower that just isn't callable to an all in bet. I may be underanalyzing this play, but nothing shocking really stands out.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:03 AM

This is obviously a pretty difficult hand to discuss without some sense for how button has been playing. If he runs bluffs a lot when checked to, which seems like you can expect it reasonably often in a shorthanded tournament, then I think this is a pretty good course of action. Button not 4-betting PF might also be meaningful, inasmuch as he might do so when he has a quality holding. All this is speculation, but I don't really see a sensible way to analyze this without that kind of information, so I'll just guess. I've definitely seen a surprisingly large number of people that can make that fold on the end, but of course he was probably behind. So why not let him bet again? The 3rd barrel is pretty hard to fire, so maybe he's not going to do it.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:04 AM

i think the reason that jman posted this (and what stands out) is that villain has half his stack in the pot and is getting 4:1 for a river call.

i'm sure that by the time it was down to 3 handed, gigabet had strong reads on the 2 opponents though. i don't think you'd see him trying this without one, so i doubt that we'll fully understand why he did it since we obv. can't get the same reads just from looking at the hand history.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i think the reason that jman posted this (and what stands out) is that villain has half his stack in the pot and is getting 4:1 for a river call.

[/ QUOTE ]

5:1, but yeah. I don't know how reasonable it is to assume that the villain will fold any hand that beats Gigabet's hand with those odds and that flop. If Gig believe's he's ahead, I prefer a check/call. Edit: Or a turn check raise.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:37 AM

I have notes on some opponents that say "seems to completely ignore pot odds" and on others "folds too often when put all in". On some opponents, I have both these notes, and I make this play.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is my hand, I do last longers with various people, and the stars mtts are the perfect venue. Not to mention the practice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Giga, If you don't mind me asking, are the last longers for more money than all but the top plazes in these prize pools? Does that mean final tabling in the tournament is of secondary concern to you if your opponents' (in the last longer) chip stacks dictate it?