Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 04:45 AM

Default Shipwrecked

I play a monthly "dealers choice" home game that starts out as a couple of hours of SSNLHE but ends up with a couple of more hours of games like "Low Chicago Follow the Queeen." Tonight, we had a new player announce "Shipwrecked" that had so many possible wild cards that we couldn't figure out if "5 of a kind" was more or less likely (and therefore deserving of a higher hand ranking) than a straight flush.

Sure enough, in the first hand we played, one player had a straight flush to the King and another had 5 sixes.

Based on the following rules, which hand deserves a higher ranking where the less likely hand is ranked higher.

(1) It is a 7 card stud game with an ante in which each player gets 2 hole cards and 1 door card followed by up cards on 4th, 5th, and 6th street, and the last card is down. There is a round of betting on each street.
(2) The lowest "down" card is wild for each player. So if player 1 has 2-K down and 7-7-2 up on fifth street, then he has four 7s. Meanwhile, if player 2 has 5-5 down and A-5-A up, then that player has 5 Aces.
(3) To avoid having the last card change your starting "wild" card, you can "buy" your last card "face up" for 1/2 the pot. Having a new wild card because the last face down card is lower than your previous lowest down card is to be "shipwrecked," hence the name.

So, while this is a silly game, I was wondering if anybody had any idea which hand, after all 7 cards are dealt, deserves a higher ranking based on their relative probability, a straight flush or 5 of a kind?

The one hand we played ended up with so much disagreement on whether a K-high straight flush beat 5 sixes or not that the players chopped the pot and we probably won't play that one any more.

Thanks.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:50 AM

Default Re: Shipwrecked

Eliminate 5 of a kind as a hand, so that the best possible hand is a royal flush. Problem solved.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eliminate 5 of a kind as a hand, so that the best possible hand is a royal flush. Problem solved.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed, only use "real" poker hands.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:45 PM

technically speaking, in wild card games unless specifically stated 5 of a kind does not exist, it does. This brought me to lose a 10 dollar pot in a microstakes game of the same game. I had a royal flush but lost to 5 jacks.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:36 PM

LOL
Old 11-18-2005, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
technically speaking, in wild card games unless specifically stated 5 of a kind does not exist,

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you get that idea? Im not saying your wrong im just wondering what your saying the overall source for the rules of every poker game is? In 5 card draw with the Joker 5 Aces DOES beet a Strait Flush. Its even in the charts of Super System in the section Caro wrote. I would figure 5 card draw to be a good authority on drawing games with wilds.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In 5 card draw with the Joker 5 Aces DOES beet a Strait Flush. Its even in the charts of Super System in the section Caro wrote. I would figure 5 card draw to be a good authority on drawing games with wilds.

[/ QUOTE ]

This game differs significantly from 5 card draw with jokers, and the probability of getting 5 of a kind may no longer be lower than the probability of getting a royal flush. Hence it may no longer be prudent to rank it higher in the hand rankings.

This is what the OP is saying, and is looking for help in determining whether this is the case.

Intuitively it seems that there is more possibility for the wild cards to convert normal hands to a 5 of a kind hand than there is for wild cards to convert normal hands to a straight flush. I mean to say that very many of your full houses and four of a kind hands will become five of a kind. Unfortunately I don't know whether this is enough and don't know where to start calculating.