Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2003, 07:42 PM

Default Am I simply destined to lose and go out here?

First hand of a $10 NL tourney at Paradise.

I'm UTG+1, and am dealt 55. UTG limps, I call, as do two others. Blinds call and check. Six to the flop.

FLOP: 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]

SB bets the minimum, BB folds, UTG calls, I raise to 120. MP limper folds, button calls, SB calls, UTG raises to 540!!!!

The alarms are going off, but I've also seen this stunt pulled with an overpair or big draws. I re-raise all-in, and only the SB and UTG call.

Naturally, the SB has 99 for set-over-set, and the SB had 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] He gets no help, and UTG triples up on the first hand.

Does anyone fold to the big UTG raise? Do you call, or re-raise all in? Can you honestly put someone on 99 (other than 67, the only hand I'm behind against here, but I have outs to fill up) in this position?

I figure, if all my tourney exits are the result of set-over-set, I'll win much more often than I don't.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Am I simply destined to lose and go out here?

I woulda done the same thing here, just cause I get so giddy every time I flop a set. This is a pretty coordinated board, however, and you've got the bottom set. If you think you are truly better than the others at the table, you can still get away from this hand with T1300 or so and keep pounding.

Anyway, I can talk all the theory I want.. and at the end of the day, I'd still re-raise all-in. Too many folks will have worse hands (and call you with them - like 23s)to muck here I think.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:37 PM

Depending on the play, 67 might be there, but I wouldn't give it a whole lot of thought.

I don't think that you could have done much differently. As a wise man quoted me recently...set over set is rare. I would wager that some big name poker pro's would be busted if they were in your shoes.

Just poker karma keeping you humble [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2003, 08:58 PM

On the first hand of one of these tournaments I wouldn't be able to give my opponent credit for a hand bigger than a set either.