Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2005, 08:02 PM

Default So many better ways to play this hand...

This is in the 6:15 Deepstack 30+3, UTG+1 is a bit of a spaz but not awful, but I don't respect his bets pf. CO is a solid player who I'm not comfortable playing in big hands with. Button just came to the table this orbit. Should I bet out at the flop something like 300 so I know where I am when CO probably just raises me straight up? I felt Button was weak, he delayed a bit before betting, and I didn't feel he had a King, and I felt a minraise would probably cause him to fold.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Button (t3895)
SB (t5020)
Hero (t8715)
UTG (t4860)
UTG+1 (t5375)
MP1 (t6515)
MP2 (t4860)
CO (t5760)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t85</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls t85, Button calls t85, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t55.

Flop: (t355) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t225</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t450</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t1080</font>, Button folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t2110

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
No showdown. CO wins t2110. </font>
Old 11-12-2005, 08:10 PM

Default Re: So many better way to play this hand...

What a strange play by CO. I can only guess he had 55, but in that case, you tried to slowplay, you got your wise (bet, raise), so why not induce more betting?

I hate checking here if I have 55, but check raising a raiser is bound to win the pot right there. If he bluffed, well, he did it very well.

In this hand it didn't really matter. I don't like leading into 3 people with top pair weak kicker in a raised pot tho.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:12 PM

Default Re: So many better way to play this hand...

Yeah, I was just trying to gauge where I was by the flop action, but I don't think CO does this with anything but a set, KJ, or maybe AK. Certainly nothing I beat.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:01 PM

Default Re: So many better ways to play this hand...

I like the line but only against less people. With that many people, I'd be more inclined to bet out with my top pair weak kicker to see where I am at, and hopefully get away from it cheaper if raised. Against one player, I sometimes do go for the check raise with a weak tp hand like this, to indicate strength with a hand which might be best right here, and if I am behind, I will certainly know soon after I make that raise.

Here, it probably gave you more info than just leading out would have, and its a good fold. If I would have check raised though, I would do more than a minraise, I'd probably raise to 550 there, but in this case it wouldn't have mattered if you minraised or made a 4x raise there, you were behind to something strong since CO check reraised.