Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2005, 03:04 AM

Default Bad river bet?

Guys, quikc hand about a 1-table tournament, 8-handed

Blinds are 150 / 300 ...

me & villian had about 5k each

Villian is a relatively weak player ... only raises / calls with at least top pair but hasn't shown any quality preflop plays (i.e. I don't have a read on what he limps with). I am not sure if the player fully understand pot odds etc... but other than that no reads.

UTG limps, I limp with 98s (spades), button(Villian) limps BB checks.

1200 to the flop.

Flop comes 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3:heart giving me a gutshot.

CHeck to me, I bet 600, Button (villian) calls, everyone else folds.

Justification for flop bet: players had been in super tight-mode ... I figured a flop bet would either win the pot or define villians hands.

Turn: Jc - 2 handed.

I check, villian checks.

So let me explain my play & justification as it has been topic of great dispute.

I checked. My justification was - it was early in the tournament, I was not ready to give a lot of my chips to make a decent size bet & try to pick up the pot on the turn. I figured villian had a heart draw and had potential to be bad enough to call without odds. What do you think of this turn check? Should I stab again?

River - Ac

I bet 1000

Was this an incorrect bet? My thinking: villian could have missed his flush draw or even been on a wacky straight draw as well. If villian has an Ace I lose. Comments? My thoughts: rather than fire on the turn and river (assuming no scare cards come out), I checked through the turn willing to give up a relatively small pot for a chance to pick it up on the river (with a smaller bet than had I bet the turn & the river). The ace didnt strike me as a super scare card as there are many other draws he could be on.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Bad river bet?

I don't like the flop bet. You're betting here to try to pick up the blinds, but even at a weak-tight table, with this board you're gonna be called by too many hands. You played the suited connectors to try to hit a flop. You haven't. C/F.

On the turn, a check is good. If he wouldn't leave for the flop bet he ain't leaving on the turn.

You bet 1200 into a pot of 2550 on the river. He has to fold about 32% of the time for you to breakeven. If you thought your chances were at least that good, it wasn't a terrible bet.