Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 09:05 PM

Default $10/20 Stud 8/b v. Aggro Guy

7 Card Stud High-Low ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.60 SB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 7: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (1.20 SB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (1.60 BB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___raises
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls

6th Street - (5.60 BB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls

River - (9.60 BB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls

Total pot: (11.60 BB)

Results in White:
Main Pot: $229 | Rake: $3
<font color="white">
Hero: [ 6h 3h 5d 9h 8h Th Ac ] [ LO: 8,6,5,3,A | HI: a flush, ten high -- Th,9h,8h,6h,3h ]

Seat 6: [ 7d Ad 4h 6d 8c 6c Kc ] [ LO: 8,7,6,4,A | HI: a pair of sixes -- Ad,Kc,8c,6d,6c ] </font>

Villain is dumb, very aggressive regular in the $10/20 game on Party. Likes to bet when checked to and doesn't appreciate being raised - often comes back with bets on future rounds that are completely ridiculous (attempt to show dominance?).

What are your thoughts on the check-raise on 5th street to set up a raise on 6th street with an open pair (I told you he gets out of line, despite me catching good). He had a lot stronger of a hand in the hole than usual (top of his range in this situation, I put him on two pair at best). When I checkraise fifth street, I am not hoping to buy a free card - I honestly thought I was raising for good value in this spot (though raising here for a free card against what is perceived to be one pair + aggressive behavior is good too, of course).

Comments are welcome! Thanks!
Old 11-11-2005, 09:24 PM

Default Re: $10/20 Stud 8/b v. Aggro Guy

I would have completed on 3rd. After that I think you played it fine.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What are your thoughts on the check-raise on 5th street to set up a raise on 6th street with an open pair

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this was really to set up raise on 6th, you caught a flush. Would you have raised if you hit the J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] here?

anyway...

I complete 3rd

take one off on 4th

I don't mind the cr on 5th, but you are drawing to a winning high hand and a horrible low, I think you want him folding here.

Good hit on 6th, raise away

Stud8 isn't my game so take that into consideration
Old 11-11-2005, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think this was really to set up raise on 6th, you caught a flush. Would you have raised if you hit the J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am setting up a raise if I hit any card that makes my hand, including a low card. That means any heart, low card that doesn't pair me, and any seven, giving me 7 (hearts) + 3 (sevens) + X (too lazy to figure out how many low cards are left that make my hand) outs to improve on one street. As I said, I put him on two pair, meaning any of those cards give me serious game against his hand.

[ QUOTE ]
I complete 3rd

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what the other poster said, that's probably better for this hand. I agree.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind the cr on 5th, but you are drawing to a winning high hand and a horrible low, I think you want him folding here.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you assign villain two pair, what do you think of the play then?
Old 11-12-2005, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you assign villain two pair, what do you think of the play then?

[/ QUOTE ]

If hes an aggressive player I would probably consider betting into him, maybe getting a raise out of him. Leading out gives you the chance to 3-bet and takes away his chance for the free card. I guess the checkraise works here to but I think leading out gets more money in the pot more often.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am setting up a raise if I hit any card that makes my hand, including a low card. That means any heart, low card that doesn't pair me, and any seven, giving me 7 (hearts) + 3 (sevens) + X (too lazy to figure out how many low cards are left that make my hand) outs to improve on one street. As I said, I put him on two pair, meaning any of those cards give me serious game against his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

That works if you have him on that narrow of a hand. Then you have something like 18 outs and the bet is clearly worth it. but I don't think you can be that precise, if he has a low your looking at about 10 outs for half the pot and probably runners for a better low, in that case you want to see 6th street cheap. I see where you are going with the play though.