Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 08:10 AM

Default Taking blinds

When I’m at my best people fold suspiciously. When I’m at my worst people play back with everything, or fold everything.

People cross over from being suspicious to being non-believers when they feel violated. They feel like you don’t respect them, or that little blind in front of them. You need to take their blind, but take it honestly. Well, they need to think you’re honest, or close enough. Even the hardest rock can sometimes creep out of its shell when you play with his balls.

There are of course, times to ravage blinds, but when that time comes you need to do it so fast they don’t quite realize your violating them. And the second they realize what’s going on, you sure as hell better hit the deck or be prepared to fold, or back off. I play herky-jerky sometimes, but that’s because I’m not very good. I put the pedal down to fast, and slam on the breaks too hard and at the wrong times. But its ok, I'm just 20 and I grew up in NYC where you don't need a driverse license.

The best, in my humble opinion, smoothly creep about in the realm of keeping all their opponents ever slightly suspicious. They might be able to pick bet amounts that look more threatening (this does not mean bigger or smaller) to induce action when they want it, and also to raise amounts that look friendly when the want folds. They might also use charisma and charm at the table towards this mean.

It helps to just be that nice guy. Take off your Partypoker visor before you sit!

-Jason
Old 11-11-2005, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Taking blinds

I've stopped going after the blinds so heavily, and I'm going much deeper into tournies and cashing a lot more often.

But that's just me,

Indy
Old 11-11-2005, 10:24 AM

I nominate this post for the highest percentage of mixed metaphors ever. Poker is compared to:

Rape: "There are of course, times to ravage blinds"

Boating: "You sure as hell better hit the deck"

Driving: "I put the pedal down too fast, and slam on the breaks too hard and at the wrong times. But its ok, I'm just 20 and I grew up in NYC where you don't need a driverse license."

But that's nothing compared to this classic: "Even the hardest rock can sometimes creep out of its shell when you play with his balls." Which has 3 metaphors, and is a difficult image to get out of your mind, once you actually think about it.

--Joe
Down the road in Raleigh.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:40 AM

I have found the best way to take the blinds without looking like you're taking the blinds is opting to raise in MP with suited connectors and be prepared to play postflop.

You'd be surprised how much less you get played back at, and if you DO get played back at, you can lay down your hands because you know they have a hand. It's all in moderation though. Be sure to show your good hands if they think you're stealing too much.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:11 AM

Jason,

Have you been hanging out with Tommy Angelo?

Great post.

Nick
Old 11-11-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I nominate this post for the highest percentage of mixed metaphors ever. Poker is compared to:

Rape: "There are of course, times to ravage blinds"

Boating: "You sure as hell better hit the deck"

Driving: "I put the pedal down too fast, and slam on the breaks too hard and at the wrong times. But its ok, I'm just 20 and I grew up in NYC where you don't need a driverse license."

But that's nothing compared to this classic: "Even the hardest rock can sometimes creep out of its shell when you play with his balls." Which has 3 metaphors, and is a difficult image to get out of your mind, once you actually think about it.

--Joe
Down the road in Raleigh.

[/ QUOTE ]

NI HAN SIR [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I’m at my best people fold suspiciously. When I’m at my worst people play back with everything, or fold everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

It also is the case that when they fold suspiciously, you feel like you're playing well, and when they play back, you feel like you suck. Regardless of how you're actually playing.

As for your point, the main thing is to not single someone out. What I mean by that is, if a person feels like you're threatening THEIR blind, like it's you vs them, then they get an extra dose of guts and you don't know what can happen.

However, if you're in pedal-to-the-metal mode, but raising from most all positions to nominal (2.5-3x) amounts, maybe 2 out of 5 hands or so, then noone in particular feels violated and if someone speaks up its likely because they have a hand. Even if people know you're raising too much, they don't feel PERSONALLY responsible to stick up to you. But if you raise EVERY time it's folded to you in LP and make it 3x, youre asking for a fight.

Choosing the correct stacks to steal from is also underrated. Often times I look at my position and the stacks and decide to raise before I process my cards. You have to be careful of short stacks whose pushes you'll have to call (i.e. 9-10x stacks that are likely to push over you with a decent range and you're in a nauseating spot when they do), and decent stacks in position that will make you work for the pot. 5x type stacks are also great to steal from when they're not closing the action, since they're obv waiting for a hand and when you open to 3x they know it's do or die (and it's not a big deal to call their push if you have to).

Just some thoughts.

Everett
Old 11-11-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Be sure to show your good hands if they think you're stealing too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this for various reasons.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually a statement like that... is followed by reasons.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually a statement like that... is followed by reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

OKOK, here are a couple..

1- Never show your hand if you don't have to.

2- Whenever someone steals a lot and then shows a strong hand when everyone folds, it makes subsequent steals less credible. IMO, they're doing the exact opposite of what they're trying to accomplish.