Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2003, 02:00 AM

Default Moneyball

A great book. If you love baseball, don't miss it. It's about how the Oakland A's, under the leadership of Bill James disciple Billy Beane, run circles around other major league teams, despite a small budget, because they know what they're doing. A Beane disciple now runs the Toronto Blue Jays: lo and behold, they're right there with the Yankees and Red Sox this year. And with Bill James now working for the Sox, my guess is (and I'm a Yankee fan) that the Sox have their best opportunity to win the World Series since--well, since Mr. Ruth left town.

A very enjoyable read for baseball fans.
Old 06-21-2003, 07:39 AM

Default Re: Moneyball

The Red Sox win the the World Series? Nah not this year. Thanks for the heads up on the book, sounds interesting although I'm not as a baseball fan as a lot of you are but I am a fan.
Old 06-22-2003, 01:20 PM

What I like most about it was the general lesson learned about the advantage of understanding information better than your opponent. The lessons learned from Moneyball can apply to just about every walk of life. A fascinating read.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:24 AM

Good point. David would enjoy this book.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:58 PM

I FINALLY read this book. I had been waiting for this to go on paperback but after several recommendations from my baseball-fan friends (and andyfox), I finally caved in and bought it.

And I must say, this has to be one of the most hilarious books I have ever read, period. If you are ANY sort of baseball fan, you need to read this book. Even if you've never heard of baseball, you would still find this an amazingly funny read. I've reread the chapter about his trades many times and it makes me laugh each time.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:26 PM

I haven't read the book but I have one question? If Billy Beane is such a GM genius, how come the A's make the playoff's every year only to lose in the first round. He is simply content with making the playoffs. He is quoted as saying "my job is to get to the playoffs, after that it is all luck".
Beane gets far to much credit.....
Old 02-07-2004, 01:01 PM

Well, read the book. Beane knows more about how baseball teams win than anyone else in the game. In a sense, he's covering his ass because of Oakland's failures in the playoffs, but in a sense he's right: a short series is indeed something of a crap shoot.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:20 PM

Default JP Ricciardi

The man has turned a nightmare of a franchise into an exciting young team that will be contending for pennants within 5 years.

Since the '94 strike (at least, the parts that I've lived here) and the coming of the Raptors, this city has largely ignored the Jays. Despite the gawdawful new unis they'll be sportin' this spring, there isn't a single person in this city who thinks they won't be fighting for the WC spot this Sept.

That is, IMO, entirely due to JP Ricciardi's wise spending and brilliant baseball mind.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:56 PM

the reason why they don't win in the playoffs is because the team can't win in short series. Beane looks at stats that other gms don't. his main thing is OB%, which in the long run will win you games, a lot, however when you are in the playoffs, you need people who can hit, knock in people on base. That is what the A's don't have. IMO to much credit goes to Beane, and not enough to their fine starting pitching, their pitching will continue to win games until they all leave to go play for a team who wants to win in the playoffs. Play for Teams that go in thinking they will win, with a front office thinking they will win. The A's are not that team, there GM conceeds it is a crapshoot in the playoffs, that is huge copout.

BTW,AL east will be very exciting this year.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:25 PM

Jays are contending, that's all that matters.

Question is, will Roy continue to dominate now that he's got a fat new 4 year $41 million deal?

Can Carlos repeat his career year?

And most importantly, can the Jays finally bring back BJ Birdy and get rid of that crappy duo of Ace and Diamond?