Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 10:54 AM

Default ($27) Shortstack semibluff

Alright, so I lost with QQ to a runner runner flush and got really short. Then I push Jc8c in EP with 150 chips on level 3 and got called by 44 and won. Then I fold for a bit, an orbit and a half later I post a 100 bb with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and 440 behind, button limps sb limps I check. flop Axx with 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]s, sb bets 200 I push, he calls with Ace/rag and I hit my [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I fold for the whole next orbit and push AK into a bunch of limpers and show. I push the next hand (my sb folded to me) and then fold for the rest of the orbit. So my image should be pure tight aggressive, but I'll make moves too if anyone is paying attention.

UTG this hand also limped UTG to my AK push and folded. I think his limp is more likely to represent a small PP or a suited ace than it is AA/KK. Then this hand happens:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Button (t625)
SB (t3365)
Hero (t1455)
UTG (t5505)
MP (t2550)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls t200, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t600) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1255 (All-In)</font>,
Old 11-10-2005, 10:59 AM

Default Re: ($27) Shortstack semibluff

i don't like it. third pair, with only a gutshot to bail you out. hitting your ten is no good if someone calls with a 7, plus someone might call with Ax spades. i know you have a TAG image, but players forget that in the heat of the moment and call anyway. you have a decent stack, continue to take blinds down preflop.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hitting your ten is no good if someone calls with a 7,

[/ QUOTE ]

But he'd have to have a 7 and a pair to be ahead. So I don't mind if A7 calls, and 77 is only one hand. 87 and 76 are also possible but that's a very small fraction of my opponent's range.

[ QUOTE ]
plus someone might call with Ax spades.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mind this with my stack size and the dead money in the middle unless it's exactly A7 spades.

[ QUOTE ]
you have a decent stack, continue to take blinds down preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Realize I have a massive chipleader on my left.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:03 AM

i like this. i think you take it down pretty often.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:03 AM

I like this move better against only one opponent, and I'm also concerned that both opponents here have enough chips to look you up with a marginal hand.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like this move better against only one opponent, and I'm also concerned that both opponents here have enough chips to look you up with a marginal hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you calling with A8 here (no spades) as either opponent?
Old 11-10-2005, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But he'd have to have a 7 and a pair to be ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

even if somehow you're ahead, you don't want anybody calling b/c your hand is extremely vulnerable. i'm just worried that somebody will call you, and you've only got third pair. though having that big stack to your left does make a differnce in your preflop play. this is one of those instinct plays you made based on how the table was playing. from a third party view, i think i'd have let it go big stack to the left or not.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you calling with A8 here (no spades) as either opponent?

[/ QUOTE ]

As UTG it would depend on my read of SB, but as SB yes.

You played it fine I think. Check raise if UTG is a better, because then you know you're safe from SB. He's likely to peel tho so only do this if he's very aggro.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Check raise if UTG is a better,

[/ QUOTE ]

If UTG bets I have almost no FE here. Do I really want him to call with KJ anyways?
Old 11-10-2005, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Check raise if UTG is a better,

[/ QUOTE ]

If UTG bets I have almost no FE here. Do I really want him to call with KJ anyways?

[/ QUOTE ]

he needs better than 40% equity to have neutral chipEV. he has under 25%. i think this is enough of a chipEV edge for you that you're willing to gamble.

don't get me wrong though - you're not that excited about it.