Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 03:54 AM

Default I have NO idea where to post this and it doesn\'t concern poker

Please move this to the correct forum if this isnt cool.

I am a student at U. of Michigan Ann Arbor. I am also 18 years old. Last night I went to a party, had a few beers, and was hanging out with a female. She was extremely drunk, so i decided it would be best if i took her back to the dorm (she lives in my hall). As we got out of the taxi, she threw up. I then sat with her for 30 mins out side our dorm while she tried to feel better. About 30 mins in, a cop came out and noticed the situation. She had puke on her but I was perfectly sober - i doubt i couldnt have played pokeer at normal capacity or done ANYTHING i normally do perfectly. The cop called for several other cops to come and they gave the girl an MIP (minor in possession). This can be anything from having unopened alchohol in the car tohaving an empty beer can in your room to just acting drunk. Then, the officer asked mee if i had anything to drink. I told him respectfully that I had a few beers but that I was in no way drunk. He proceeded to write me an MIP. I now have a court date on tuesday.

My questions are as follows:

I was not read my miranda rights - and the officer didnt seem to haev a reason to ask me the question. How was I supposed to know that what i said would have been held against me?

What is my best defense when i go in front of the judge? that i was helping someone?

How would you guys approach this one. I dont want to have to pay $250, take classses etc.

Let me know your thoughts (or questions).
Old 11-07-2005, 04:00 AM

Default Re: I have NO idea where to post this and it doesn\'t concern poker

Are we talking University cops or real cops. Is your court date with the city court or a city magistrate or is it with some BS U of M court? This makes a big difference in your best course of action.

Did you at least make the police blotter? Everyone must make the blotter once while in school so at least you can get that out of the way early.

BTW, this probobly goes in OOT. I'm sure they would love to help you. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2005, 04:01 AM

IAMNAL (I am not a lawyer) But I think your miranda rights are only for when you are arrested.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Please move this to the correct forum if this isnt cool.

I am a student at U. of Michigan Ann Arbor. I am also 18 years old. Last night I went to a party, had a few beers, and was hanging out with a female. She was extremely drunk, so i decided it would be best if i took her back to the dorm (she lives in my hall). As we got out of the taxi, she threw up. I then sat with her for 30 mins out side our dorm while she tried to feel better. About 30 mins in, a cop came out and noticed the situation. She had puke on her but I was perfectly sober - i doubt i couldnt have played pokeer at normal capacity or done ANYTHING i normally do perfectly. The cop called for several other cops to come and they gave the girl an MIP (minor in possession). This can be anything from having unopened alchohol in the car tohaving an empty beer can in your room to just acting drunk. Then, the officer asked mee if i had anything to drink. I told him respectfully that I had a few beers but that I was in no way drunk. He proceeded to write me an MIP. I now have a court date on tuesday.

My questions are as follows:

I was not read my miranda rights - and the officer didnt seem to haev a reason to ask me the question. How was I supposed to know that what i said would have been held against me?

What is my best defense when i go in front of the judge? that i was helping someone?

How would you guys approach this one. I dont want to have to pay $250, take classses etc.

Let me know your thoughts (or questions).

[/ QUOTE ]

So let me get this straight. You have to pay $250.00 for drinking that nasty $hit people call beer?

Most certainly -EV
Old 11-07-2005, 04:08 AM

This belongs in OOT (Other Other Topics).
Old 11-07-2005, 04:12 AM

If you were sober, why the [censored] did you admit to having a few beers?

you dont have to be read your rights unless you have been put under arrest. you were just given a ticket and the officer has an obligation to tell you what the ticket is for, and he appears to have done so. you may now contest the ticket in court. your best shot is hoping the officer doesn't show up at the trial or just pay the god damn ticket.

Pay your fine and don't be stupid next time. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2005, 04:15 AM

I can't believe they can give you an mip when you don't have any liquor on you. They don't even have any evidence, fight it and deny deny deny, and next time lie. These cops sound like a bunch of petty dicks.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:22 AM

no blow, no go. (No intoxilizer, no evidence)

"No, I never said that. I told him I'd been at the party with her and then he gave me the MIP ticket."

You have to lie well to pull this off. If you start it, stick with it, DO NOT go back on your story.

Otherwise, pay the fine I guess.