Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 01:45 AM

Default A8o with a shortish stack

Tiny $1 buy in tournament, I just started with MTTs, so the money factor isn't really relevant here. 16 players left out of an initial 350 or so. Average stack is about 30K, I'm down to 17K, blinds 800/1600 with no ante. I'm dealt A8o in the CO, and the action is folded to me. The button is almost entirely irrelevant, as he clearly wants to limp to the final table. He has folded everything so far. The SB has 5K chips left and has also been playing weak/tight. The BB has about 24K and has been playing a pretty solid game, from what I can tell. Not unwilling to gamble a little, but certainly not reckless.

Do I push here, or let it go and wait for a better chance?
Old 10-31-2005, 02:44 AM

Default Re: A8o with a shortish stack

no reason to push if opponents are playing this tightly. Raise 2X BB and see where the strength lies, if you get RR by on the tight players, release the hand.
see the flop cheaply
Old 10-31-2005, 03:26 AM

I agree. If they are playing as tightly as you say they are, you wont get a call from a hand that is losing to you. Raise and fold to a reraise. If you get called evaluate what to do on the flop.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:02 AM

I'd push. Button's very unlikely to call. If sb pushes over your opening raise then you'll call it anyway. If you raise and BB pushes you really can't fold either, because he's restealing with a small pair or suited connector or broadway hand enough to justify calling off the remainder of your stack. So I'd rather just push into him and eliminate the chance that he resteals preflop or on the flop.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:54 AM

Shove. You don't want someone to try to get cute on a re-steal or Stop & Go. With a stronger hand you can make the case for a normal raise (yes, this might be a tell, but at this level nobody is paying attention), but the blinds are big compared to your stack, so let her rip.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:11 AM

You can raise or push. I would push most likely.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:40 AM

Push.

Button won't call w/out a monster, a raise would commit you to calling SB's push anyway, and BB isn't going to put most of his stack on the line w/out a very strong hand.