Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2005, 05:35 PM

Default $11 - First hand of tourney, large PP (JJ-AA) Do I call the push?

Party $11 - I 4 table and this happened on 2 of the 4 tables at the same time, on the first hand of the tourney

Table 1: JJ, I raise to 75, villain re-raised to 200ish, I push, he calls.

Table 2: QQ, I raise to 75, villain pushes all in, I call.

What SHOULD I be doing in this situation? What does the villain have? Ak, AQs at worst probably, but a PP is most likely, hopefully lower then mine, but could be anything from 1010 to AA.

I know I can still get away from the second hand, as I have only 75 chips in the pot when he pushes, whereas I can just call his 200 and see a flop in the first hand.

Do I risk that I am beat already and fold these, or try and double up at the begining of the tourney and try and parlay that into a big lead in chips?

Thanks in advance for the thoughts.

Oh, and In hand 1 villain had AA and in hand 2 villain had KK, both times I did not improve and lost.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:46 PM

Default Re: $11 - First hand of tourney, large PP (JJ-AA) Do I call the push?

hand 1, call and push any non overs flop
hand 2, call all-in
Old 10-29-2005, 05:50 PM

Table 1; Hand One: Definately a fold. Easy. Blinds are really low and with retarded Party Poker players they can have anything like KQ - KJ - QJ - K10 and they are far too likely to hit their overcard. Fold IMHO!

Table 2; Hand Two: Harder decision. With the villain pushing allin again he is likey to have anything from KQ and on down like in Hand One. This early I dont know if I want to take a coinflip for my whole stack. Thats just me tho, I am on the more conservative side. I fold in this situation as well since you only have 75 committed and there is no reason to risk your whole stack on a push coin flip.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:50 PM

hand 1, fold to reraise

hand 2, call
Old 10-29-2005, 05:51 PM

great idea. fold incorrectly
Old 10-29-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
great idea. fold incorrectly

[/ QUOTE ]

Im guessing that you are talking about Hand Two.

Why is folding incorrect here? Okay yeah I can see you making a case for calling the allin. Sure even I can make a case for calling the allin. But think outside the box here for a moment. Say you fold. This is the 11s. You can still outplay on the bubble very easily. Not too mention the OP did not provide any reads that he had on the player from previous SNGs played, etc. You can definately make a case for folding as well.

Sorry if it sounded like I was going off, but you can make a case for both sides of the argument. I just dont like extremely arrogant people.

Sorry.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:59 PM

why wait to outplay on the bubble if you an get chips here? If that is your mindset why play any hands the first few levels at an 11 other than AA and even then why AA you can just out play them later. It's called expected value. Make money not just on the bubble but earlier in the game.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:02 PM

actually hand 1, if you your hand range for the opponent is as wide as KJ, KQ, AK etc. you would be incorrect in folding as a favourite.

but considering you're easily dominated by overpairs then perhaps you're more correct. but don't be afraid to flip early in a tournament. it's as easy as clicking the next open tournament.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why wait to outplay on the bubble if you an get chips here? If that is your mindset why play any hands the first few levels at an 11 other than AA and even then why AA you can just out play them later. It's called expected value. Make money not just on the bubble but earlier in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is very correct. And most of the time I am probably going to call the allin with QQ as well...

It was just that I was "trying" too think of the hand and the situation from a different approach. LOL! Please forgive me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Your right tho, like I said earlier... I am probably calling that allin with QQ in a heartbeat. I just wont like running into a King high flop when my donk opponent is holding KQ-KJ-K10 or crap like that. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2005, 06:04 PM

forgiven [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]