Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2005, 02:05 PM

Default The Dinner-Movie Date

Is this a good idea for a first date, or is it too much too soon? Should the first date be just dinner? Is just a movie acceptable?

Side question, what type of movies are unacceptable as first date movies?

FYI, i've been out of the dating scene a little too long, so please keep your flames to a minimum.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:19 PM

Default Re: The Dinner-Movie Date

this reminds me of the line from clerks, "oh great, the ol' dante hicks dinner & a movie date."
Old 10-29-2005, 02:20 PM

If the first date is going to be a movie then make sure you plan a stop at the bar or home for a night cap. That way you can chat about the movie as well as setting up a second meet if you are into it.

Otherwise you are just sitting in the dark for two hours. Very littl interaction. Very little experience.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:23 PM

Movie FIRST, then the dinner. Why? because unless you already have a lot in common or were friends first, dinner is likely to be a combination of nervous banter, awkward silence, and sweat pouring down your brow.
At least do an activity. I think first date dinners are WAY overrated...and part of why guys strike out so much.

g
Old 10-29-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a good idea for a first date, or is it too much too soon? Should the first date be just dinner? Is just a movie acceptable?

Side question, what type of movies are unacceptable as first date movies?

FYI, i've been out of the dating scene a little too long, so please keep your flames to a minimum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Someone is going to get lucky. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Movie FIRST, then the dinner. Why? because unless you already have a lot in common or were friends first, dinner is likely to be a combination of nervous banter, awkward silence, and sweat pouring down your brow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I dont understand guys that get nervous like this?

The couple who sat next to me the last time I went for Sushi were on their first date. It was the most pathetic thing Ive ever witnessed.

Just keep in mind that if you arent in bed after the next date then its over, then you can avoid all this nervous foolishness.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:28 PM

i don't go out on many dates, but when I do, I try to keep the first date to something casual, like meeting at starbucks for coffee or something, or at most grabbing lunch somewhere. I haven't done dinner/movie on a first date in quite a while.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't go out on many dates, but when I do, I try to keep the first date to something casual, like meeting at starbucks for coffee or something, or at most grabbing lunch somewhere. I haven't done dinner/movie on a first date in quite a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP probably scored on his last date when they saw Casablanca.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:30 PM

Just go for drinks. That's the perfect first date. Easy to escape from if it's miserable. A little tongue lubricant to loosen things up.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:31 PM

honestly I never really saw the point of going to a movie with a date. it's just not a social experience. I guess I could see it if you just wanted to quietly cuddle with someone and not talk it'd be fine (though I think staying in and renting a movie is much better for this), but I think aiming for action on a first date might be a bit much.

I do see the need to have something to focus on other than each other to avoid awkwardness. I think the perfect date would be something where this type of awkwardness is minimized, but you could also allow for the possibility of chatting, connecting, and getting to know each other (which really shouldn't happen in a movie). I think the best type of activity is something like mini-golf, bowling, shooting pool - stuff like that.