Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 10:42 AM

Default Was this a decent laydown?

I've been fuming about this one for a while now...

12+1 SNG on PS.

Approximately (im at work and dont have the exact amounts):
Player1 (UTG)t3700
Villain (CO) t2500
Player3 (SB) t1500
Hero (BB) t4500

Blinds are at: 50/100

Down to 4 players...

I'm dealt 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the BB. One limper in the CO...I raise it up 4x BB to t400.

Villain calls.

Pot is now t850.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villain bets 200.

Hero re-raise 3x to t600.

Villain calls.

Pot is now t2050.

Turn: 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villain pushes.

Hero goes into tank and folds.

Villain shows cards and shows that he only had 4 diamonds...no pair.

So, based on the bets, I could see villain wasn't representing the K so I felt comfortable about that. I felt I re-raised villain out of the flush draw on the flop...but he called anyway. Im thinking now that I should have raised it more than this...maybe all in at this point...but there was still the possibility of a K beating me (although unlikely).

What clues would you guys have picked up on to be able to make that call? Or even knowing the fact that he didnt have anything, over the long run, is it a good laydown?

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Was this a decent laydown?

We need to know what level this SNG was and what the chipstacks were to make a decision.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:49 AM

we need stack sizes before we can say anything reasonable. if you don't remember, take your best guess.

edit: stack sizes for all 4. and yes, you should've folded.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:53 AM

Yeah it's impossible to judge w/o the 4 stack sizes, blind level, buyin, etc.

The only thing I'll say is that if this is a low buyin SNG and you both have a good amount of chips left, I don't feel many people are laying down their flush draw having to call 400 chips into a 1800 chip pot.

edit: Even though we need the other info to comment on most of the hand, once you're in your turn situation I don't think you can ever make this call. We still need the info though, it's possible there was a better line to take elsewhere in the hand.

-SonnyJay
Old 10-28-2005, 11:01 AM

Ok...sorry...I added more info. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:10 AM

I would have raised to t600 preflop. Maybe even t750. Then if he bet the flop so weakly there would be enough of the pot I could raise him either so much he'd feel his stack was in danger by calling (i.e. he'd be committed) or just push.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:33 AM

Eh, I think that t750 is kinda overkill, but a bigger raise could be fine. I personally wouldn't go higher than t500.

I still disagree with
[ QUOTE ]
I felt I re-raised villain out of the flush draw on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]
since he can call t400 into what has become a very large pot. Once he pushes the turn you're done. For every time he shows you a lone diamond you'll see something beating you many more times.

Question to OP: he calls your flop raise, turn is a T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], he checks to you. What's your line?

-SonnyJay
Old 10-28-2005, 11:36 AM

I'd push the flop. If villain has min bet out at me with a king, then nice work him.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Eh, I think that t750 is kinda overkill, but a bigger raise could be fine. I personally wouldn't go higher than t500.

I still disagree with
[ QUOTE ]
I felt I re-raised villain out of the flush draw on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]
since he can call t400 into what has become a very large pot. Once he pushes the turn you're done. For every time he shows you a lone diamond you'll see something beating you many more times.

Question to OP: he calls your flop raise, turn is a T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], he checks to you. What's your line?

-SonnyJay

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I can agree with you there. After looking it over again he was getting 4:1 on his money...and he was 4:1 to hit his flush draw if he was on one...even money over time. I should have raised it so he was only getting 3:1.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question...combined with the min raise and call, and the 3 diamonds on the board I would have to put him on slow playing the nut flush. I think I would check it down. You?
Old 10-28-2005, 02:53 PM

If you're going to raise the flop, don't be such a girlyman about it.