Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 06:04 AM

Default weird hand

400 max, 4-handed, Stars. Second orbit, but I've been playing very aggressive, taking down probably 5 of the last 8 pots. Stack sizes:

Button/Hero: 500
SB: 120
BB: 550
UTG: 700

UTG limps, I raise to 20 with T7s. Everyone calls.

Flop (80): Jd 7d 7

check, check, bet of 60, I ???

Bettor seems sort of loose-passive, but then again, only 2 orbits. What's your move here?
Old 10-28-2005, 06:08 AM

Default Re: weird hand

Make it 200
Old 10-28-2005, 06:34 AM

This bet screams of Jacks up.

I would just call, you have a great chance to stack him if a non-diamond falls on the turn. Also you can get a call from the blinds...
Old 10-28-2005, 06:39 AM

See, this is exactly what I was thinking. There's a good chance SB pushes with 88-99, any overpair, any J, any overcards w/flush draw. And coincidentally, such a push is just enough for me to able to re-raise on top if necessary.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:32 AM

Why is this weird?
Old 10-28-2005, 09:36 AM

If you've taken down so many pots and have been agressive, I'd say this is a good time to change gears and tighten up. I wouldn't raise with this hand PF. Some of these guys are probably waiting to trap you or come over the top, and this hand can't take much heat. It would be different if you were opening the betting.

Anyway, I agree with making it $200.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you've taken down so many pots and have been agressive, I'd say this is a good time to change gears and tighten up. I wouldn't raise with this hand PF. Some of these guys are probably waiting to trap you or come over the top, and this hand can't take much heat. It would be different if you were opening the betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree. 4-handed, if you've been successfully taking down most pots, this bet works fine. Also, I like a mere call here to see how villain behaves on the turn. A bet of 200 gives him too much information. You'd be better off calling, then he has no idea where he's at and it makes it tough for him to play correctly.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree. 4-handed, if you've been successfully taking down most pots, this bet works fine. Also, I like a mere call here to see how villain behaves on the turn. A bet of 200 gives him too much information. You'd be better off calling, then he has no idea where he's at and it makes it tough for him to play correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, misread and thought he was holding the J. Nevermind the raise. I'd probably just fold this.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:26 AM

Raise pot. If he's on the J, he folds. Overpair folds. 7 and kicker calls or pushes.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise pot. If he's on the J, he folds. Overpair folds. 7 and kicker calls or pushes.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you're raise will fold out worse hands and be called by better. since that's the opposite of what you want to have happen, it seems like there's no reason to make that raise.