Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Thoughts on Party 55s Since Split

I played the Party 55s for about 5-6 month before stopping in July to play NL cash games and MTTs. Since the split, I've gone back to $55s (I 10-table) and they seem a lot different. For example, I don't know how many times I will raise 3x with AK and have someone move in over the top with some crap pair like 44-55 when they aren't even shortstacked. I feel like Matusow when he said "the new players are donks who will take any pair and shove their chips in".

What changes have you guys noticed in the mid-upper level SNGs since the split? And what changes have you made in your game, if any, to combat these changes.

FWIW, I've kept my same strategy of playing tight early, only really looking for set or overpair opportunities to double and then getting aggro on the bubble. My % finish distribution for the first 5 places is 11%-14%-14%-12%-15%

I am usually very solid HU, but I think the tendency of people willing to gamble might hurt me HU b/c I'm aggro (as you should be) with the massive blinds. ROI is 9.71% in my first 250 SNGs since coming back, so I'm pretty happy, but primarily interested in hearing different strategies for playing these since the split.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on Party 55s Since Split

250 tables is not nearly enough to draw conclusions about changes in the game, if any.

Any discussion of results or ROI is even more a waste of time.

When several respected, winning players have all played 3000 or more "after the split", maybe you can revisit this topic.

Please see Irieguy's recent post on the subject.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:21 PM

250 games is not enough to determine something like ROI, but it is enough to possibly notice a change in playing sytle. I think the question is fair. Do people notice more players pushing a low pair early on?
Old 10-25-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
250 games is not enough to determine something like ROI, but it is enough to possibly notice a change in playing sytle. I think the question is fair. Do people notice more players pushing a low pair early on?

[/ QUOTE ]

At least someone has some sense. I'm not trying to draw finite conclusions, just trying to have a discussion about playing styles lately at Party. And I have over 2500 samples at the 55s so I have a decent idea about ROI.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeez. Google "selection bias" to find out why this is a silly question.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At least someone has some sense. I'm not trying to draw finite conclusions, just trying to have a discussion about playing styles lately at Party. And I have over 2500 samples at the 55s so I have a decent idea about ROI.

[/ QUOTE ]

Selection BIAS!

Selection BIAS!

Selection BIAS!

"Yeah, me too!" "Yeah, I noticed that, too, after my 50 games!" "Yeah, me too, so it must be true."
Old 10-25-2005, 02:20 PM

My finish distribution is 11-14-13-12-16 (really similar to yours as you can see) on 400 SnGs since the split. I didn't really notice anything different in the games though. Once upon a time I actually had more firsts though [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2005, 03:08 PM

stop being a dick and trying to think you are irie. Irie's post was regarding ROI this was a simple question to see if others have noticed changes. If we all talk about changes we have seen the sample size also increases. I just started playing the 55s now though so I cant compare to before.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:21 PM

The 55s seem the same to me...

And wow, seems like lots of new 2+2 55ers! No wonder my insanely high, unsustainable ROI has been going down. Stay off my tables, jerks!
Old 10-25-2005, 03:26 PM

whats your party name, i am not playing at tables starting now if there are 3 probably even 2 players i know are solid for sure.

Im pukingtables