Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 06:48 PM

Default So I took the plunge today...

So I put in my first session of 6 max play today, and I wanted to post some thoughts about it.

What I found most striking was how true the three general comments you read in every thread extolling 6 max are.
In my mind, these are:
1) Play is faster and more exciting (so you clear bonuses more quickly).
2) The players are just terrible.
3) Variance is unbelievable.

Again, I know those things have been said over and over again, but I really think that you can't make someone understand the extent. You really have to experience it yourself to understand.

As for faster play, I was dealt almost exactly twice as many raked hands as I would expect to at full ring, on average (2 tabling each type of game). As for bonus clearing, I had about 2x the number of raked hands I would expect also. I have always read posts saying 'more hands,' but I have never seen anyone put numbers on it. Interestingly, this implies that the same percentage of hands are being raked at full ring as at 6 max. I expected 6 max to be higher (and maybe it will be once my sample size isn't statistically irrelevant). I would be curious to hear what others have found in this regard, especially if they have a large sample of hands from both full ring and 6 max (at the same limit).

As for the players...I guess this is one I always had trouble believing. That is, I've seen Party players at full ring, I've seen Paradise players...how could anyone be worse. And yet many of these 6 max players were. I honestly just didn't believe this was possible. Or, if it were, they would only be a little worse. Nope, I was wrong.

Variance - well I didn't get kicked in the teeth yet. I did lose runner runner and then have my aces cracked in my first 10 hands (a nice little introduction), but I was in the black for my first session. More importantly, I felt I played well. I will be spending some time in PT tonight to see if the deck hit me, and look for places I can improve.

That's all I have. Again, I think its worth reiterating that, as a full ring player, I never really understood all of the things that people were saying about 6 max. I'm not saying I'm converted yet, merely that anyone who hasn't tried it yet probably should. At the least they need to understand why so many people seem to prefer 6 max, and they can find out if it is for them.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:16 PM

Default Re: So I took the plunge today...

I predict you will play shorthanded a lot in the near future, and eventually you'll wonder why anyone would ever want to play at a full table.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I took the plunge today...

[/ QUOTE ]
teabagging is definitely the way to go
Old 10-24-2005, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I predict you will play shorthanded a lot in the near future, and eventually you'll wonder why anyone would ever want to play at a full table.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah yes, the fourth most common thing I've heard from 6 max threads. I should have included that in my OP.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ooo! Ooo! I know why!

Because when you find a shorthanded full table and mess them up with your "crazy" play, they stay messed up after the table fills out, while you go back to full ring strategy...?
Old 10-24-2005, 09:19 PM

I took the "plunge" also as my PStars bonus was taking for F'ing ever to clear at .5/1 full ring. I mean, how many pots actually get to $10. Plus I was near the end of a 100BB downswing Friday and Saturday nights on full ring and needed to change some [censored] up.

I played 6-max, and with a maniac or two at the table (98/50/1, 75/40/.8) almost everything was 3-bet preflop and damn near every pot went over $10 to be a raked hand.

I did well, because I was hitting, and today, I wasn't hitting as much, so the variance just hurts.

My stat numbers are just terrible in 6-max, like 40/20/2.5, and I definitely need some guidance. With a VPIP and PFR that high, I'm just asking for variance.

Are those numbers about right? I doubt it. Anyone have a link to the pre-flop 6-max chart I've read about? I'm re-reading the short-handed section in HPFAP, AGAIN, before I play tonight.

Is it ever even worth trying to steal the blinds in 6-max? Lord knows I've tried and NOBODY lays down anything. SO that means I have to limp decent, playable hands from the button and raise just the good ones?

Thanks.

I have to scare up Wookie's post and re-read it again.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:30 PM

Wook's post on 6 max stats.

I think this is the start chart you're looking for.

Or maybe you wanted this one, which is older (my understanding is that the former is a revision of the latter.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have played 6max and still really enjoy full tables. I find them very relaxing now, and mix them in to slow down the pace.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:54 PM

True to your name, you are my hero. LMAO!

Thanks for the links!