Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 04:40 AM

Default Should I skip the 10\'s if I have the bankroll?

I've played a lot of limit cash games, and a fair number of limit SNG's back in the day on Paradise. Want to start playing NL SNG's.

Bankroll is not really a problem. I have thousands I've made playing cash limit games online.

Will the 10's allow me to gain experience without risking too much money?

Or will I simply develop bad habits from playing really bad players?

Would you suggest Party, PokerStars or another site for my early experience?

Thanks
Old 10-24-2005, 04:41 AM

Default Re: Should I skip the 10\'s if I have the bankroll?

I suggest party because of the fish and blind structure

I suggest playing the 10s to help learn the game and no you should no get any bad habits from playing bad players. I believe that to be a myth.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:43 AM

Eh, just start at the $10s. Get your feet wet again. You'll know soon enough if you can just jump up to $20 or $30.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:45 AM

I'd say start again at the $11s too. Before having a long break from poker at the end of last year I was at the $55s (but now, to be honest I realise I was hopelessly under bankrolled to play them). Because of taking so long off I decided to start right from the lowest level again, slowly inching up the levels when I felt my bankroll was sufficient (and my play). If you're patient then you'll for sure get to the $22s and $33s (and maybe beyond) under your own steam, and it'll feel much more satisfying for it, plus make you a better player.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:13 AM

You don't really have to if you have faith in your game. From what you've said, you're a winning player, and have sufficient bankroll. Playing the $10s may make you too impatient because of small profits.

When I first started playing, I immediately started 2-tabling the $33s, and didn't find that big of a problem. Just play tight and aggressive (and your normal game), and you should be fine. If you're in over your head, you'll know it (I doubt it, the $33s are easily beatable), and then you can go down a level.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:16 AM

I suppose that's true, but he's not played NL SNG's before so it might be better to at least dip his toes in the $11s first, before diving straight in. Nothing wrong with being over-bankrolled, either.. at least for me it makes me pretty much fearless, and the $$ doesn't really register, only what the proper +$EV move is each time.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:17 AM

SNG's are a LOT different than cash games. ABC poker to win you money, but you must learn that when action is folded to you on the bubble, that 72o is a prem hand! That take some time to learn.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:19 AM

Okay.

Is there a number of SNGs that would be considered statistically significant enough to prove me a winner at that level?

I know 10k hands of limit is considered about the minimum to show a real pattern, with some people insisting on 20k or more.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a number of SNGs that would be considered statistically significant enough to prove me a winner at that level?

[/ QUOTE ]If you're beating the game, no number of SNGs will convince this group that you are a winning player. If you're not beating the game, a couple hundred SNGs will convince them you're a losing player.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:31 AM

Haha.