Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 11:18 PM

Default Tricky AQ Hand

Only have about 30 hands with villian, but he seemed pretty LAG, he was around 40/25/7.0. Against most opponents I would raise the flop, but I figured this guy would continue to bet a worse hand if I just called. No good?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.40 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.70 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 9.70 BB
Old 10-23-2005, 11:20 PM

Default Re: Tricky AQ Hand

I raise the flop against a LAG and call down if raised.

I'm also calling down 100% of the time after he 3-bets the turn.

EDIT:
Also, you're making a BIG mistake if you routinely folds TPGK against LAGs, especially on such an innocent board like this. Don't EVER use bet/fold raise/fold etc. lines against LAGs, if you only want 2 bets to go in on the turn+river vs. this guy use them to CALL turn and river.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:23 PM

why not just get to showdown? very very good chance you have the best hand, just call down and bet if he checks to you. if none of the draws get there and you are still beating most bad aces then raise the river, but bottom line is you have a strong hand in this situation and I don't think you should be folding this heads up.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:24 PM

IMO if you're going to raise the turn against a LAG, you are doing so because you believe you have the best hand and your doing it for value.

If you are truly curious how much he likes his hand then raise/cap the flop and see what he does on the turn.

FWIW, either way am I calling this mo-mo down with A-Q. Let him show me AK or two pair, most of the time MHIG.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:34 PM

Location: Condemned to a lifetime in the kiddie pool, where I will never make moves.

That is not how you should be playing lags.

Don't build big pots against lags and then find ways to fold your hand "safely".
Old 10-24-2005, 12:38 PM

That fold is really bad. I'd pop a street and not fold.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:00 PM

How about raising the river instead? That is probably more likely to freeze AK from 3-betting you.

Also, you're getting enough to try to suck out on some A-rag hands/you may still be ahead of AJ/he may be bluffing off his ass. I think you could call turn, raise river. Or, just raise the flop, one time I also like.

Raising the flop gives you more reliable information since he's less likely to think you're trying to take the pot from him.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:04 PM

agree w/others. although this guy seems to be more of a super-agressive slag than a lag. can't fold there to someone w/an AF of 7.

also, against folks that play like this if i don't raise on the flop and take the lead, i'll sometimes wait until the river to raise. there are some obvious disadvantages w/this play, but you can better control the # of bets that go in w/this line as most folks won't play back on the river.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:29 PM

I'm probably adding nothing new but this is the worst fold ive seen in a while.

I also think the raise the river line is ok but I go ahead and pop the turn against this guy assuming hell call all kinds of stuff to a turn raise but even he might not bet at this 3 times w/o an ace.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:31 PM

wow, I couldn't fold this down on the turn dude.