Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 10:03 PM

Default Missed Bets Galore?

Five-handed 50-100 game. I have A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and open for a raise in the cutoff. Only the BB calls. Flop is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. He checks, I bet, he raises and I call. The turn is the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. He bets and I call. The river is the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. He bets and I call. Opponent seems typical, not overly aggressive in my limited experience.

Jeff
Old 10-22-2005, 10:04 PM

Default Re: Missed Bets Galore?

I would raise turn, because from bitter experience I can say they never ever believe you have an Ace there.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:43 PM

I raise the turn, because it seems like I do it a lot when I don't have an ace too.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:16 AM

Default RESULTS

Ok, not interesting I guess. He had QJ and I won. So, if I had raised somewhere, he may or may not have paid off, but he also had 5 outs (though a bet went in on every street).

Jeff
Old 10-23-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Re: RESULTS

[ QUOTE ]
but he also had 5 outs

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this pretty important? He could also be semibluffing with a club draw - I'd hate to see him checkfold the river on you.

-SmileyEH
Old 10-23-2005, 11:53 PM

I would raise the turn. I doubt a you'll be reraised here with anything less than Aces up but you'll most likely get paid off by his (probable) pair of Queens. Plus you want to make him pay if he's semi-bluffing with a draw on the turn since he's not going to call a river bet if this is the case.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise the turn, because it seems like I do it a lot when I don't have an ace too.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is too important for me not to emphasize.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:31 AM

I don't know about anyone else, but at best you have 3 outs and getting only 7.5 to 1 i think it's an easy fold on the flop. further, if you're really putting him on the semi-bluff for the club draw then you're ace-high might be good, but i don't think enough. fold to the check-raise and wait for a better spot. maybe with your back door straight draw you might be able to give yourself another 1/2 out considering the club draw.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:42 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

Jeff, what was your reasoning exactly for not raising? Did you not want to lose him or did you have some type of read on him? Seems like an easy raise for value unless I'm missing something.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:43 PM

Jeff (or anyone else), can someone discuss the thoughts behind the flop call and what to do on the turn if it does not improve your hand.

Playing shorthanded, I never know how to handle a checkraise in this situation after making the automatic flop bet. If he is checkraising you with any pair you are quite an underdog. Against two clubs you may be 50/50. Even against a complete bluff you are not a huge favorite.

Sometimes, I might check the flop here to avoid being predictable, avoid predictaments like this, and also to cover for the times when I might want to check a monster.