Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 08:09 PM

Default hand for review...

we are four handed in a 10 player sit n go top three pay out. I have 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the big blind and i am the short stack at the table looking to double up. Blinds are 50 100 and i have 680. A guy on the button who i think has been bullying me min raises to two hundred and the small blind folds. I call in this situation knowing that if i hit a pair he will bet reguardless and i will be able to burn him. Flop comes 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I check and as expected he bets,i immediately push assuming he doesnt have an eight better kicker or an over pair. I'll post the results later but is this a good play?
Old 10-20-2005, 08:25 PM

Default Re: hand for review...

Given that you called, the check/raise is fine.

I probably would have folded preflop though.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:34 PM

Given your read, I would have done the same.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:43 PM

Calling off a third of your stack preflop with T8s on the bubble is a bad idea.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:45 PM

Well it's technically only 1/6 . . .

Not that I still like calling preflop yet . . .
Old 10-20-2005, 09:43 PM

Eh...I hear ya - folding more times than not. But T8s has some possibilities against a button min-raiser. Consider that there is now t350 in the pot. We have t580 after posting. We have t480 after calling. Our status at the table hasn't changed much. Our ability (or lack there of) to steal blinds hasn't changed much - as our future FE hasn't depreciated a great deal in relation to the [presumed] chips in play.

Of course the "read" is important. I made a leap of faith regarding this particular hand, but certainly this hand is playable against a repeated button min-raiser vs. short blind(s). Having him back off on a flop lead would be helpful certainly. Kind of a stop-and-maybe-go w/3.5:1. TP I check/push like Hero did (w/ his read that he will be leading). Any non-TP 8 or T, I open push. Any two clubs I open push. Any OESD I open push.

The lack of hand/stack/etc. detail from OP makes it difficult to say that this move is warranted on this hand, but as a general rule I don't rule it out.

Basically, when I get down under 6bb's, I don't mind spending one of them for a shot at making a move on a flop HU.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:13 PM

hmmm...your intentions are good, but your going to whiff 2/3s of the time. AND, when you do hit it won't always be the best hand. I can see a higher T in his hand alot of times (well, maybe not alot but enough). Bluefeet makes a good point that your FE doesn't really change, but when you do decide to try and double up after you whiff this hand, your stack will be 200 chips shorter if you do.

->you call and whiff: t480: then push a later hand and double to t960.
->you fold: t580: then push a later hand and double to t1160.

I would fold.