Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 03:33 AM

Default I swear I\'m not a calling station

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Hero ($101.80)
SB ($161.95)
BB ($99.90)
UTG ($33.45)
MP ($61.74)
CO ($410.01)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $2</font>, MP calls $2, CO calls $2, Hero calls $2, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $1.

Flop: ($10.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $2</font>, MP calls $2, CO folds, Hero calls $2, BB folds.

Turn: ($16.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $5</font>, MP folds, Hero calls $5.

River: ($26.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $10</font>, Hero calls $10.

Final Pot: $46.50

Last hand of the night I swear. Villain is 45/13, bit of a donkey. I saw him 3-bet all in with K6 on a K high flop earlier, so he obviously over values his hands. I also saw him minbet two streets earlier with NPND after limping in with J6s and then minbetting again on the river when he hit a J. That's about it for reads.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:35 AM

Default Re: I swear I\'m not a calling station

yeah, you don't know if he is doing the " I am slowplaying a 7" or the "let me see next street cheaply" underbet.

looking at the amounts though I would lean towards the latter.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:43 AM

Your title weaves a web of lies and deceit.

I am curious about this hand because I find myself doing this occasionally in this basic situation. I feel so dirty but man... Sometimes if this is wrong, I don't want to be right.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:45 AM

mmmm i know youre gonna hate this but fold pre-flop

yes it's a mini-raise, but i just dont see 42s being +EV to play in any sort of pot, multiway, heads up, etc. etc.

that being said, just fold the river. UTG is short-stacked, and i really dont think you want to be going to showdown with 2s against a short-stacked donk. hes only got 12 left in his stack right now. he also min-raised UTG. his hand range is probably any pocket pair, and anything that looks pretty.

and a lot of that hand range beats you on this board.

there's a lot of better places to take these short stacks out. overpairs work. TPTK works. in fact, TPGK is probably good to stack him too.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:46 AM

Yah my gut reaction was like "this is horrible"

but then i was like, well.... maybe..

dunno about preflop thought, pretty marginal
Old 10-20-2005, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

mmmm i know youre gonna hate this but fold pre-flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you're right about me hating it, but also right that's its probably -EV. I just [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] my button, and will defend it vociferously.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:55 AM

This is 100% fish hand and you know it.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Well, you're right about me hating it, but also right that's its probably -EV. I just [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] my button, and will defend it vociferously.

[/ QUOTE ]

if it is -EV though, it's very marginally -EV. the only problem is with calling pre-flop with 42s, you tend to talk yourself into continuing post-flop with hands like this.

pre-flop is just personal discretion, i dont find it to be a huge important part of the game (especially with deeper stacks)

if youre a good player, yes, you can open up more pre-flop, but i think calling this down like this is spewing.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:57 AM

I think the river is maybe -EV, maaaaybe. Turn and flop no way. I have odds on my flush draw alone.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the river is maybe -EV, maaaaybe. Turn and flop no way. I have odds on my flush draw alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, looking at this slightly more sober, I think you are always beat on the river unless you have seen villain fir a third barrel. The thing is, most people will fire a third barrel more than half pot. I think that you're losing way more often than 3.5:1. The rest of the hand is fine and I call this preflop all every time.