Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 03:09 PM

Default whether to push or fold...

A home 8 person single table, 5$ buy in. first place takes 30, 2nd place takes 10. aftre a bizarre few hands, player 1 is massive chipleader, after doubling up and crippling one person, and then doubling and crippling the big stack. chip stacks then look like this.

hero-14000
player1-59000
player2-3000
player3-4000

player 1 knocks out player 3, then doubles up player 2 twice when player 2 has 99 and KK in a row. this hand comes up.

Blinds, 300/600
player 1 folds OTB
Hero in SB-ATo. After completing the blind, i have 9000 left. Player 2 has 12000. Do i raise or push, trying to win a big pot with the chance to win? or should i fold, and hope the other 2 get in a confrontation, and try to sneak into 2nd?
Old 10-17-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Re: whether to push or fold...

This is the greatest website/forum/place/thing on the internet for this type of question/comment/idea/thought/instinct/message/answer
Old 10-17-2005, 03:17 PM

Is player 1 in the hand????? Take just a second to show CURRENT stacks (not to concerned w/ how they looked 3 hands ago) & action thus far to your position. It's a little hard to follow...
Old 10-17-2005, 03:26 PM

sounds like you're in the bubble, but blinds are small... push or fold w/ stronger hands until blinds become big relative to the shortest stack... w/ AT I would push PF from SB... no post flop decision to make... If I understood your post correctly... hard to follow
Old 10-17-2005, 03:39 PM

sorry about that, guys, let me make it a little simpler.

Chip stacks-
hero-about 10000
player 1-about 58000
player 2-about 12000

blinds 300/600
player 1 folds on the button, and i look at ATo in the SB. can i find a fold trying to sneak into 2nd? or push trying to win a big pot, and have a chance to win it all?
Old 10-17-2005, 03:46 PM

Folding - not an option with AT, HU
Pushing - a bit wreckless for pretty modest returns (still holding 17ish BB's)

I'd make it t2,000 to go, fold to a push from BB. Post flop w/ a call? Perhaps you'd know better than me. My action (or the lack of) would be dependant on my read on the other player - whether to c-b, trap, etc.etc.etc.

But to not play strong hands strongly (or worse, at all!) in hopes an equal stack will misstep at a later point is not a profitable way to proceed.