Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 11:45 PM

Default $55: Help, I\'ve become a hyperLAG? 8-10th place=26%, but still +1% ROI

106 $50+5

itm = 29%
roi = 1%

8-10th = 26% total

Dumb moves? (all no reads) [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

1) Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (8 handed) converter

SB (t955)
HERO (t840)
UTG (t1545)
UTG+1 (t1150)
MP1 (t1955)
MP2 (t1685)
CO (t850)
Button (t1020)

Preflop: HERO is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t200</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">HERO Pushes</font>

2)Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (6 handed) converter

HERO (t2470)
CO (t2170)
Button (t753)
SB (t2327)
BB (t1090)
UTG (t1190)

Preflop: HERO is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">HERO raises to t400</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls t325, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t950) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">HERO bets t500</font>, SB calls t500.

Turn: (t1950) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, HERO checks.

River: (t1950) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB bets 500, <font color="#CC3333">HERO Pushes</font>

What would you have done instead in each case? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2005, 11:50 PM

Default Re: $55: Help, I\'ve become a hyperLAG? 8-10th place=26%, but still +1%

1) I play the same.

2) I fold preflop, but if I do raise preflop I check the flop then bet/raise the turn depending on the opponent.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:11 AM

Default Re: $55: Help, I\'ve become a hyperLAG? 8-10th place=26%, but still +1% ROI

[ QUOTE ]
106 $50+5

[/ QUOTE ]

ARGGG... don't draw any conclusions from that.

Those hands are really fishy. Both easy folds when you pushed.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) I play the same.

2) I fold preflop, but if I do raise preflop I check the flop then bet/raise the turn depending on the opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

These suggestions are not very good. The first one is really bad without some amazing read... maybe...

You lose alot of FE checking the flop because it's so weak. If you're going to c-bet it has to be on the flop. Raising the turn... huh? A pf fold or raise is fine I think.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why check the flop instead of a continuation bet?

if you dont have a read, and check the flop, what would you do if he bets out on the Turn?
Old 10-17-2005, 12:32 AM

Default Re: $55: Help, I\'ve become a hyperLAG? 8-10th place=26%, but still +1% ROI

1) Eight-handed with blinds this high, and you've just posted the BB. I hate this move baring specific reads, but I don't think its terrible. The min-raise here is too often a monster unless you've got specific reads that your opponent will min-raise here. If I'm going to push this I'd consider the stop+go over pushing preflop. Most of the time I'm just going to fold this with eight people left. The table is likely more tight than usual and I imagine i can steal more +$EV a couple times in this next orbit before the blind hits again.

2). Fold preflop.

Baring that, i don't hate the stab on the flop but I really don't like the resteal on the river. If you were going to try to steal this pot again, I'd push the blank turn. .
Old 10-17-2005, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why check the flop instead of a continuation bet?

if you dont have a read, and check the flop, what would you do if he bets out on the Turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I check this flop because so many hands that will call your raise preflop will call a bet on this flop. And a lot of these hands will be on a draw. By checking I don't let a draw check raise me, and I get to see what the turn looks like. Many cards can come which will have me lose interest in the hand and I will just fold. By doing this I feel I have more control of the hand, and my opponents hand will be more defined. If he checks twice I have more informtation and can steal the pot cheaper than I can with c-bet on the flop. This is strange play, and I won't play many hands like this.

If he bets the turn I will probably fold unless it is a very small bet and that's when I will raise. This is based on how I believe the average $55er plays.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
These suggestions are not very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK...why?

[ QUOTE ]
The first one is really bad without some amazing read... maybe...

[/ QUOTE ]

Against an opponent who will often min raise I think a push is a good play. I don't think you realize how often he will fold here, and how well our hand does against a loose caller's range. And if the table is fairly aggressive we may not get a good stealing opportunity untill the blinds pass again.

[ QUOTE ]
You lose alot of FE checking the flop because it's so weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you are going to push all in, I don't think you have much FE on this flop.

[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to c-bet it has to be on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Because otherwise it is weak? So your saying an opponent who won't call the flop will call the turn when a blank hits?
Old 10-17-2005, 01:52 AM

You realise when I say these suggestions are not very good I explain why. You should know this because you address my points after you say "Okay.. Why?"

I'm sorry but most of what you say is just wrong. No FE unless you go allin? That doesn't make any sense.

Checking the flop is not only bad because you lose FE, you also open the door to being bet into. Where you'd have to fold, although it looks like you'll tell me otherwise.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but there is a lot of flawed logic in your post.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:00 AM

Why not just fold hand 1? MP2 has enough chips to call you with a lot of stuff here and your hand is no good against most of it.

Hand 2 there's nothing wrong with just folding preflop, but if you are going to pop it you raised the right amount and your c-bet on the flop is fine, even though this flop sucks to c-bet it's heads up and you win the pot here enough to make it work. Once he calls you though, I think you've gotta just shut down completely.

It seems like you're getting just a wee bit too tricky.